Monday, 23 January 2017

Post Walk Heartiness

I went walking yesterday....a long way with Salty Dog and our friend Lil' Chris.  And I would love to share the pictures but they need sifting through and I've woken up late. Probably being absolutely shattered has something to do with it.   So instead I'll share the recipe for the slow cooker meal that I cobbled together.  It awaited us hungry knackered hikers on our return to my gaff.

Now I thought that a vegetable stew had the potential to be a bit boring.  So I went out of my way to pack it with flavour.  It turned out thoroughly gorgeous.   By happy accident it's vegan so could get other meat eaters out of a fix if they're catering for anyone with a meat and dairy and egg free diet.  Right knife at the ready! It's always good to play with a sharpening steel with a lot  of stuff to chop.

1 onion - sliced
100g mushrooms - thickly sliced
The long end of a medium butternut squash - cubed into largish chunks
1 medium potato - again hearty cubes
2 largish carrots - cubed
Half a head of spring greens - ribboned thickly
3 crushed cloves of garlic
The juice of 1 lemon
A  good  handful of pearl barley
A tin of butter beans
A tin of chopped tomatoes
Half pint of vegetable stock made from two cubes.
About a teaspoon each of dried oregano and sage
Two teaspoons of smoked paprika
A good sprinkle of the fancy salt from Mallorca that Louis brought home.  It contains bits of dried chilli
A generous grinding of pepper

Shove everything in a slow cooker and cook on high for about eight hours.  It comes out like this.



I cast veganism aside and served it with piping hot cheese scones made from the recipe in the link  - except that the milk was fresh and the cheese wasn't mouldy on this occasion!

2 comments:

  1. How funny...I bunged a lentil casserole in the SC to await our return from walking yesterday too!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds and all that darling!! xxx

    ReplyDelete