Tuesday, 17 January 2017

Single Horned Runners

My heel has healed!  So I'm back on track with my running albeit confined to three gentle 5K trots around the block a week.  I'm going to start to slowly increase the distance again at the weekend but easy does it has been my mantra for the last few weeks. As well as those comfy running shoes that were my Christmas treat to myself I've bought myself some new kit. There's a wicking top courtesy of those bins in Lidl and a bright, bright jacket, essential garb as part of the regular route that I take does not have a pavement.  Being hit by a passing car or van is not part of the plan.  Then there's the John McEnroe-esque headband that becomes rather necessary as I increase distance and pace.  I'll spare you the details as ladies like myself don't sweat.

What has really touched me is my own progress has inspired at least a couple of friends to try the Couch to 5K plan.  Scary Secretary took her first tentative steps this week and Disco Queen Vikki is well away.  She's definitely got the bug and is spurring me onto greater things, my first running event in over twenty years.  We are entering Age UK's '80's retro run in Exeter in March, a 10K challenge where we'll deck ourselves out like Bananarama and take at a leisurely pace.  We're getting a little team together and already recruited my dear friend Sugar Plumb is on board.

 Of course we have a name.  We are the Unicorn Warriors.   Disco Queen Vikki hasn't been working in Totnes for long but those alternative vibes are definitely rubbing off on her!


8 comments:

  1. Good news indeed! Enjoy yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're officially running again. You look lovely and ready to take on the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ready to take on the world? I like that! xx

      Delete
  3. Good for you, enjoy your running. I have been known to have a little jog at intervals, when walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how you start on couch to 5k and build up to a jog with a little walk at intervals if need be. xx

      Delete