Friday, 13 January 2017

Spider Man

Photo: Colossal
I'm working with a lovely person at the moment.  That's not unusual in my job. I can't help having a soft spot for most of my patients/clients/service users or whatever the NHS wants to call  the people that come through its doors at any particular point in time.  This particular individual identified all by themself that, by being busy doing something that they find meaningful,  they can keep depression at bay.  Ah! The life affirming and  health giving properties of occupation. That's what I spent three years studying at college.  For it can be as good as, or often better, than popping a pill.

The wonderful Colossal website was yet again a source of inspiration.  This person wanted to kickstart a textiles project.  So  I shared pictures of the  wonderfully zany work of Adam  Pritchett and we both enthused over its zaniness and the unusual nature of the subject matter.   It did the trick.  They've gone off to plan a design that they're going to show me in this week's therapy session.

I'm not sure why I was so surprised at coming across a embroiderer who's a bloke.  It's not as if stitchery is the exclusive preserve of women.  There are plenty of  male tailors out there and the lovely David who reupholstered my motorhome said that he been sewing for all his working life .  And I'm reminded of a time when I helped out during an activity morning at Louis' school when he was wee.  I was in charge of helping kids make a drawstring purse.  All the kids who chose to work with me were very enthusiastic little boys.

6 comments:

  1. You first introduced me to " Colossal" and I still look at it from time to time, and marvel at some of the amazing art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen Colossal before so thanks for that! My embroidery skills have been almost dormant for a few years so maybe it will get me moving again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might like what this man does with textiles too ... AMAZING work!
    http://www.mister-finch.com/about/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his work is beautiful. I was particularly taken by the dormouse. xx

      Delete
  4. Kaffe Fassett is another well known chap. You're probably familiar with him....his use of colour is magical and I've always loved what he does.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, I was going to mention him in the post and then it went out of my head. I've got some of his books downstairs. xx

      Delete