Thursday, 26 January 2017

The Story of Grey

In 2010 I was inspired to adopt Lovelygrey as my 'pen name'.  It was chosen to counter the almost exclusively negative portrayal of what it meant to have grey hair that seemed to pervade the media at that time. Maybe times are changing even though I'm still occasionally incensed by newspaper articles that still aspire to zap my mop top.  Like this one.

Greyness is hereditary, seemingly governed by a dominant old gene.  I get it from my father and no doubt my son will start to metamorphisise into a youthful Paul Hollywood clone himself within just a few years.  My first grey hair was found by a friend during a study period in the library of my sixth form.  'Pull it out!'  I ordered. That became a bit of a mantra for the next two or three years until a boyfriend admitted defeat.  'There's just too many of them.' he said.

For many years after that home  dying became part of my routine.  The aim was to restore my hair back to its natural colour, a dark shade of brown.  But it was never entirely satisfactory.  Whatever shade I chose seemed to revert to a reddish hue, making me look exhausted and washed out.  So in my thirties, I grasped the bull by the horns,  let my roots show and then shaved my head to let the inner silver vixen emerge.

Now I  love my funky  hair which is a perfect match to my skin tone. I hope that I'm living proof that all that negative hype is bollocks.  Embracing premature greyness does not equate to being old beyond my years.    It's now so intrinsic to my personal style that I'll never change colour again.  And my bathroom thanks me for that too.  That dying was always a messy old process!

22 comments:

  1. You truly are lovely grey. I'm on my quest to eternal grey but despite me thinking I was quite the whitey, when my hair was dyed very dark, when I plucked up the courage and the mortgage payment I went to the hairdressers and had all the colour stripped from my hair. Turns out when my hair is light -my pissing roots are dark!!!! So I'm on a happy medium path where I have the under done darker and the top done lighter! It's costing me a fortune but I was doing my own head in with the dye kits and I do love having my hair washed and a head massage that you get offered at the salon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm head massage sounds good. Maybe that could convert me back to salon if I could rustle up the small fortune needed for visits.xx

      Delete
  2. Your hair, both colour and style, suit you so well and looks fabulous. I'm a similar age to you and not yet ready for grey, I've been home dyeing since I was about 16 (not that I was going grey then....I just wanted to be bright blonde instead of dirty blonde!). My mother's brother and 2 sisters all went silver at a relatively young age, mother however (now 80) hasn't, her hair colour has only in the last 10 years or so started to sort of fade to an indiscriminate fairish hue tinged with grey. I don't know which I'd prefer! Actually, probably the silver, although not so sure it would go with my skin tone (English rose).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum still has brown hair and she complains when she finds a grey one! xx

      Delete
  3. It's a beautiful shade. I've got big red chunky highlights in mine but with grey showing too. I am not denying my grey just jazzing it up a bit as I'm already very pale skinned. Have you seen George Lamb's grey hair- he went grey as a young man and it really is his crowning glory.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I hadn't seen him before but cute! xx

      Delete
  4. Love your hair (and your blog)! I am growing my hair out; hopefully, mine will look as lovely as yours. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a beautiful head of snow-white hair, like my dad and my brother...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the growing out is worth it and yours is your crowning glory too. xx

      Delete
  5. I followed my mum's advice and never did colour my hair when I started to go grey at around 30. I am lucky that my hair turned to silver so at first it looked like highlights. Someone once stopped me in the street to ask where I had the highlights done! Now it is completely silver grey and it is much better than the mouse that it was originally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get complete strangers stopping me to tell me that they like my hair. xx

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love your hair - I am very envious! Like you with dark brown as the original colour I'm now -far too slowly- going grey. At the messy salt'n'pepper stage which doesn't look one thing or the other, just wish it would hurry up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a tiny patch of brown. It was noticeable when I had even shorter hair. xx

      Delete
  7. Your hair is gorgeous. I don't dye mine and just embrace the grey/ white that has been appearing for years. For me, a good haircut that suits me is more important than covering up the grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly and your hair is lovely Scarlet. xx

      Delete
  8. Your hair is gorgeous and you have beautiful skin. My mother has silvery white hair and I'm hoping mine goes the same although at 64 it's taking its time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it'll change colour really quickly. That sometimes seems to happen.xx

      Delete
  9. Your hair truly suits you and you have a very young looking face. My mother allowed her hair to go white at an early age and she said that she felt she looked younger than folks who dyed their hair an unnatural brown ( the worst is dead black!!) Anyway she felt folks got used to her with grey then white hair early on and she didn't seem to change much as she
    aged compared to those who suddenly stopped the dye job and went grey/ salt and pepper. She felt that her skin tone kind of changed to make it all come together. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like she was of the same mindset to me. xx

      Delete
  10. Your hair is a lovely silver, not grey; and I wish mine would just get on with it and turn silver all over, rather than just a bit in front and a bit at the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember that stage. I had a badger stripe for a while.xx

      Delete
  11. It's a lovely head. I married a guy who was gray by 40, and his parents were completely white haired, both well before 40. All very attractive people. His sister colors though,and her hair is paying the consequence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do wonder about the wisdom of sticking a load of industrial chemicals on your scalp for years and years. xx

      Delete