Tuesday, 21 February 2017

Ants in Pants: Literally!

Our AirBnB apartment last week was faultless: thoughtfully decorated and beautifully kitted out.  It's the third time we've used the website to book accommodation and all the properties where we've stayed in Vancouver, Hove and Granada have been delightful and amazing value. I cannot recommend this website highly enough.  When we arrived  this time, Elias, the owner and his two children were there to meet and greet and presented us with a homemade cake made by Mrs Elias. They popped it in the bread bin.   I washed a slice down with a cup of green tea. It was extraordinarily good.

The next morning I awoke peckish.  More green tea and cake as there was no other food in the house.  The supermarket had not been open on our Sunday arrival date.  But this time round it tasted funny.  There was a sour flavour that I couldn't identify. I looked closely.  It was covered in ants who'd marched all the way from a crack in the door of my ensuite bathroom to the kitchen.  The little beasties had found a feast.  I couldn't help but admire their cleverness even though I was rather repulsed.

Now insects are supposed to be a sustainable food source and this was my first  foray into adding them into my diet.  I can't say I'd recommend it.   I wondered briefly if I could die of formic acid poisoning before taking charge and eliminating the little buggers from the kitchen.  This involved wiping down all surfaces with a clean cloth and alas, throwing away that lovely cake.  The ants did their best to fight back.  They crawled over me.  I may have imagined it but I'm sure I felt some in my knickers!  I frantically showered but four hours later when we visited the cathedral Lou picked off a couple from my neck.  Thankfully Elias came to the rescue, sealed up the ant's home and nuked the little buggers with toxic white powder.   He seemed to know what he's doing so I reckon it's a common problem in Spain.  Probably not very green or Buddhist but it had to be done.

The next day at the Science Museum we spotted these giants climbing the observation tower.  Models thankfully but I couldn't help feeling that they must have been put there overnight in memory of their murdered relatives!

10 comments:

  1. That is horrible. I haven't been abroad for many many years now but I remember having cockroaches in our apartment, also a common problem in Spain. Shame about the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not normally a panicker but I think cockroaches might have freaked me! xx

      Delete
  2. I had a similar feeling when I got headlice....I was warned that it was an occupational hazard working with small kidlets...
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope they weren't in the knickers too. Ye gods! xx

      Delete
  3. Presumably they weren't red ants as they have a formidable sting! I once fell into a nest of them and was stung all over my leg.......hateful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they were little black 'uns. Didn't stink. Just crawly and didn't taste very nice! xx

      Delete
  4. I grew up in Spain... yes all food to be kept in sealed tins especially in older houses, as ants are liable to find it otherwise (and once they've found food once will keep returning!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be amazed at their cleverness and sensitivity. My bedroom was a long way away in the apartment. xx

      Delete