Friday, 10 February 2017

Art Out of Darkness


In my job I share both joy and sadness probably in equal measure.  Tears came to my eyes the other day when one person told me that their artistic endeavours came to nothing as they all originated from states of mania. From the perspective of their current depressed mindset nothing could persuade them otherwise.   I found this heart wrenching as their work pleases me very much.

How I want to change their view once they're better so that they can embrace the creativity that comes from mental states that are less than ideal!  I'd also like them to discover that their talents don't desert them once they get better.  Best get my occupational therapy thinking cap on.

Here's a painting, inspired by the Japanese artist Hiroshige by Van Gogh, a man almost as famous for his suffering as his artworks.  It's beautiful regardless of the artist's state of mind when he created it.

6 comments:

  1. How poignant that you are aware of what the artist is going through, and can see the beauty and possibility, of his art being all the more so in health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad thing is that we don't always get long to work with someone when they get well. They get discharged all too quickly. xx

      Delete
  2. I have been to the Van Gogh museum and wonder if I saw that picture there. I also went to the Kröller-Müller Museum which also had his works - I was an emotional wreck in both buildings since I love his work so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked and there is an early Van Gogh exhibition there - you might like to see some of the works.

    http://krollermuller.nl/search-the-collection/keywords=theearlyvangogh#filters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful - there's pictures there that hold so much emotion xx

      Delete
  4. Indeed, I was in tears most of the way around.

    ReplyDelete