Wednesday, 1 February 2017

Inner Fog, Outer Fog

“All negativity is caused by an accumulation of psychological time and denial of the present. Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry - all forms of fear - are caused by too much future, and  not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of nonforgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence.”   Eckhart Tolle.

So have I sussed it yet?  Am I focusing on the present to such a degree I've eliminated all suffering?  Have I heck!  Little demons and bigger beasties remain.  Sticks, stones and yes the words and actions of others still hurt at times.   But there's more of an awareness of when those unhelpful emotions take hold and how they are sustained by what I say and do.   I've noticed, for instance, how speaking unkindly causes deep hurt in myself.  I think I'm watching my words more closely as a consequence.

Little by little more and more presence unveils itself. I'm aware of the heightened energy that seems to course through my body after I've been for a run.  I was surprised at how I hadn't noticed before what the water from a shower feels like when it hits the top of my skull.  What has also struck me is how much of the outside world is overlooked because I'm preoccupied with what's going on inside my head. The Devon countryside is lovely yet it goes by unappreciated as I'm focusing on unproductive inner chatter instead.

Louis goes skiing on a Monday night at an outdoor activity centre.   Instead of mulling over the minutiae of a busy day when I went to pick him up,  I achieved presence and with that became  mesmerised with the lights and strange shadows in the outer rather than the inner fog.

2 comments:

  1. It's so easy to miss the details which would give us pleasure if only we remembered to look....I saw a nuthatch yesterday when I remembered to stop listening to the inner chimp.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I saw a little egret, an oystercatcher and a curlew! xx

      Delete