Tuesday, 14 February 2017

My Valentine's Card To You

Valentine's day blessings. I hope that you can feel the lurve emanating from Granada. Here's the view towards the Sierra Nevada mountains from the balcony at the back of our apartment. Aside from the parked cars by the river Genil it's rather romantic isn't it?

Leonard Cohen's favourite poet, Federico Garcia Lorca was born here. I'd like to visit his house but the teenager would protest mightily. So I'll leave it for another visit when I don't have a kid in tow.  To mark the feast day of the saint of  love I thought I'd be topical and share one of Lorca's poems but they're all rather angst ridden and that does not set a suitable tone.

Instead I've dipped into some of the reading material I have with me.   I re-read the books of Don Miguel Ruiz on a regular basis for each time I glean more teaching from them, changing the way I think and act.   This time 'The Mastery of Love' gets another airing, a practical guide to the art of relationship.  I've written about it before.   Maybe the words that I've chosen can't be found inside any of the greetings cards that have been sent today.  They speak a beautiful truth nonetheless which applies to all relationships, not just romantic ones.

 Love is based on respect. . . . Love respects.  I love you; I know you can make it.  I know you are strong enough, intelligent enough, good enough that you can make your own choices.  If you fall I can give you my hand, I can help you to stand up.  I can say, “you can do it, go ahead."

11 comments:

  1. Take this waltz translated by our dear Leonard from a Lorca poem is one of my favourites. I haven't listened to dear LC since his passing, but your post reminded me. I have just played it. All is good, I feel okay. My thanks go to you. All the best, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that poem as part of the research for this post. It is quite different to the lyrics of Cohen's interpretation. xx

      Delete
  2. Good to hear you're having a rum time on your break!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take this waltz is one of my favourites too, it's so beautiful. I played his latest album constantly after his passing as a kind of therapy.

    I am glad you and your boy are having a great time. I have been lurking here for a while now but have now bookmarked you along with "going gently" which I got from your side bar and have decided it is time to join in. I think I may have commented about our love of LC before but then it took me a while to find you again. I found you through "life after money" on her side bar. I love the way we can all move through the blogs from one of us to another. I am now enjoying checking in each day and am looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola!

    I'm in Malaga for our yearly escape from the Canadian winter.

    Happy Valentine's Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so close. Enjoy! I hear Malaga is a beautiful city too. xx

      Delete
  5. And I don't have a romantic bone in my body! We are going to pub quiz tonight, none of your overpriced and over-hyped Valentine's days for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds rather wonderful. I like a pub quiz. xx

      Delete
  6. Happy VD day to you ( never fails to make me chuckle!!! )

    ReplyDelete