Friday, 17 February 2017

On Piste


Five years ago, give or take a day or two,  I snapped my cruciate ligament in an Andorran ski slope.  A year later I managed a brief return to the slopes after strengthening the surrounding muscles so the knee didn't need a ligament to support it.  I then lost fitness at a time when fatigue scuppered exercise.

So three years ago I went under the knife.  The surgeon said that I would never be able to do breast stroke leg again as it could compromise the joint. That's why I now swim like an injured frog.  But he said that I'd be able to ski again.  And yesterday that's what I did for the first time since my op.

Not many pictures got taken because I was too busy hurtling down those runs!  But here's one I took of my trusty ski companion.  I must have done alright for Louis has upgraded his evaluation of my performance from 'rubbish' to 'alright'. I've never been a competent skier but just love being active in a snow scape.  Yesterday the Sierra Nevada was a glorious place to be. I was so thrilled to be back on piste.  May there be many more beautiful blue runs to tackle in years to come!


10 comments:

  1. Good for you. Revisiting an activity that you might have thought was gone forever had to have been a marvelous feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness Lou is a real chip off the old block isn't he! I think I might be extremely good at the apres ski bit, but I will leave the actual skiing to those who can!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't like his looks being compared to mine but I see it more and more. Xx

      Delete
  3. Louis is growing up so fast.Quite the young man.You seem to be having an amazing holiday.BArbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where the time's gone. Blessed to have a wonderfully happy relationship with my son even though he's supposed to be a difficult teenager.xx

      Delete
  4. Was it that long ago?! So glad that you are able to do it again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tired though and achy legs today. Two days was enough.

      Delete
  5. Yes, he looks just like a mini you.

    ReplyDelete