Thursday, 2 February 2017

Tweezed

As menopause has set in the frequency with which I find hairs on my chin has gone up alarmingly.   Yet going down the route of the iconic Frida Kahlo and leaving my face as nature intended isn't going to happen.  I'm not sure that I'd be limiting myself to a neat little moustache like the boldly unconventional but very gorgeous Mexican artist.  Rather it seems that I'd be in danger of looking like a full blown hipster or an understudy for ZZ Top if I left growth unfettered.

Barely a day goes by when I don't find a stubbly invader growing from my chinny chin chin. So  I surreptitiously deal with the little bastards whilst I sit at traffic lights. The tools for the job are kept in the storage area in front of my handbrake.  After all personal grooming whilst stationary with the engine running isn't illegal like using a mobile phone.  I dare a copper to book me for illicit plucking!

Now my twenty year old self would be horrified that I'm owning up to this. I think that I was quite sterotypically beautiful in those days.  From what I can see as I go about my travels most young women are.   Being desirable whilst reproductively active probably plays a role in perpetuation of the human species after all.   Yet I probably could have found fault with every body part, knees too knobbly, nose and feet too big, hair too unruly, arms, legs and yes, face too hairy......  Even in those days one or two blighters dared to pop from their follicles in 'the wrong place'.  Shame in my appearance wasn't an alien emotion.

Fast forward thirty years to the present. I'm a bit overweight, have scars on my abdomen from life saving surgery and childbirth, wrinkles around my eyes and everything is topped off with silver rather than dark brown curls. In my younger days I would have thrown a wobbly and hid in a cupboard. But I'm comfortable in my own skin now, more  than at any other point in my life.

I'm primarily writing this post as reassurance for those who need to hear a certain penny drop.  The beauty industry would like you to think you're a freak if  you deflect from airbrushed norms.  In their book, if you're sprouting hair from anywhere other than the top of your head, God help you.  I've done a little survey of my friends of a similar age.  For most of them tweezers are an absolute essential, not just for use in the eyebrow department.  Phew!  It turns out that I'm entirely normal.

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely normal. Just explain this one... How come I get ready for special night out, cleanse my face carefully, put on my make-up and feel wonderful. Then I get home about 4 hours later go to the bathroom, and find a new whisker AN INCH LONG growing on my chin. How does that happen???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor eyesight. It's protective and deludes us into believing that we're still young and gorgeous! xx

      Delete
  2. Veet became my friend...I spent a lot of time polishing mirrors in bathrooms in my line of work in unflattering lighting so have far more chance to see when it needs doing! There are several chaps with facial hair in Mythago, but I am not aiming to become the first bearded lady on the side! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grooming is far more efficient in summer when the lighting levels are better. I'm always missing stray eyebrows at this time of year. xx

      Delete
  3. I'm for doing what makes a person more comfortable with themselves. I realize at 51 I was probably judgmental more than I'd like to admit, about appearance at 20. Now, I would revel in the "flaws" of my youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same age as me. And at 51 you look lovely Sam! xx

      Delete
  4. My tweezers are my friend as is the magnifying mirror neither of which I would go away without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got one of those at well. But I now have the eyesight of a mole. It doesn't help much. xx

      Delete
    2. You need one with lights all around. xx

      Delete
  5. Another reader of similar age with similar issues! I agree with Toffeeapple, my best solution has been tweezers and a 12x magnifying mirrior by 'Tweezerman'.

    ReplyDelete