Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Ye Grub Of Olden Days

This is interesting. It refers to the rather simpler eating habits of our nation in the decade before my birth. When I was growing up in the late sixties and early seventies things had come on a bit. Spaghetti bolognaise was fairly common place in our household and a fish finger or four was often on the menu at teatime.   At the end of the 1970s McDonald's opened up in the high street in Southend.  It was such a trendy place to go that I didn't even mind spending my pocket money on a Big Mac and milkshake.

But even though there was a bit more choice in the late sixties and seventies when I was growing up there was a lot of food stuff that is freely available today that was considered pretty fancy back then.  Look back to a blog post where I featured my trusty Stork Cookbook from the seventies to see how far on we've moved in terms of what we call an 'exotic vegetable'!  I also remember going on a shopping trip to Wood Green in North London with Mum when I was a teenager.  We had lunch in a department store and chose from the salad bar.  We puzzled over a tasty ingredient that was a constituent part of one of the dishes.   It was necessary to do some research afterwards to find out what we'd actually eaten.  It was chickpeas!

8 comments:

  1. What a great list of memories....... I was growing up in the 50s and it is all true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was suprised that you didn't have fish fingers! xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely! You can still buy camp. I think it tastes good in cake! Coffee and walnut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it when I make my own version of Bailey's xx

      Delete
  3. This is most certainly true. The portions were smaller, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it was the residual effect of rationing? xx

      Delete
  4. Seaweed was eaten in the 50s and earlier - Laverbread, in Wales.

    ReplyDelete