Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Carved

I'm featuring some workmanship today of the highest order.  It's a far cry from some of my bodges.  Charlotte Howarth, is a good friend of my brother. She is a master letter carver who was taught  to carve stone by her stepdad.  For years we'd heard stories about each other but had never met.  That was finally rectified at my brother's wedding.  We hope to meet up again when I next take a trip to Norfolk.






As a seaside dweller I love the wave bowl above but more typically Charlotte's work includes quirky lettering. This is gorgeous.  I wonder if it is pocket sized and can be carried around as a reminder of another's love.  I'll have to ask her.


I'm not sure why I was surprised that she can rustle up a mean linocut as well.  The process of making the printing plates does involve cutting after all.  I find the simplicity of this picture of sloes fabulous.  I love the definition of her lines.


I'm showing Stanley Kubrick's headstone, not because he's a famous person but because I love the idea of a memorial carved on a rock just like one that you'd find on Dartmoor.  It's not the sort of thing that you normally find in communal cemetries in Britain.  Their rules and regulations normally stipulate far more formal headstones have to be erected.  Stanley didn't have to abide by those rules.  His grave is on the estate where he lived under his favourite tree.  Fabulous!

11 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Stanley Kubrick was buried at Childwickbury. We visit the estate twice a year for an " art and craft show" in the stables there. It is about 3 miles from us on the way to St. Albans. His wife , Christiane, and her daughter Katherine, are always there exhibiting ( and painting ) their beautiful paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it is worth a visit when I'm in the South East at sometime. xx

      Delete
  2. Am loving the leaves! Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I. I'm in awe of their preciseness. xx

      Delete
  3. Being tactile, the bowl looks like something I'd want to touch or move my hand over for a sense of calm. It's always nice to meet people who you have some common ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see what you mean. I'm very tactile. Love stone and fur. xx

      Delete
  4. Our friend is buried here in france, and has a headstone which isn't quite as "bouldery" as SK's, but is quite rustic/ uncarved (does that make sense?) It is certainly very different to the shiny granite headstones and mausoleums that surround it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds beautiful. Maybe I'm changing my mind about being cremated and having my ashes scattered at Yellowstone. I spoke to someone today who felt a sense of loss that their relative didn't have a grave site. It gave me food for thought. xx

      Delete
  5. The art shows are in the summer and just before Xmas, which is the only time you can actually get to the stable block. The main house is all gated off. I think it was sold some years ago and Mrs K lives in a much smaller house in the grounds. It is an excellent, high class art/craft show. A friend of mine is always there with her stained glass. See...karendaviesstainedglass.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of your friends windows are glorious. Thank you for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Charlotte's work, I shall look for more of it. Your work is not botched at all, you are quite new to it and it takes time to become adept. xx

    Definition of bodging: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodging

    ReplyDelete