Monday, 13 March 2017

Clumsiness

Both Louis and I are clumsy.  It's an expensive old business.  Stuff is always getting broken.  There's been two glasses this week alone.  Mine is caused by a combination of poor proprioception (awareness of where body parts are in space), impaired 3D vision and, since pregnancy, reduced sensation in my hands caused by carpal tunnel syndrome.  It's better than it was when I had a baby in my tum.  Then I couldn't even peel a satsuma as I had no idea of the pressure that I was exerting.  Paying attention helps but it isn't the entire picture.  Things often slip out of grasp.

I wouldn't admit easily to being a perfectionist but I am. For instance I'm mortified if I go over old blog posts and find clumsy languages, typos or punctuation errors. I'm working on another personal online project at the moment. All will be revealed when it's done. I've been attending to the minutiae.  Everything has to look right. Perhaps it's why Louis describes me as OCD.

My lack of dexterity makes it difficult for me to achieve perfection in the real world though.  Some of the things that I make or repairs I've attempted are rather a bodge. I pretend it doesn't bother me but it does enormously.   It occurred to me yesterday that perfectionism and cack-handedness are difficult crosses to bear in combination! 

4 comments:

  1. Me too and my son....we call them his windmill arms. Particularly bad when he was growing...he'd flail his arms round and break something in passing. Mine is definitely much worse when I'm tired or anxious. I'm not very spatially aware either. I've also learnt that modern plastic attachments to things with little hinges are very fragile! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's about regulating the force of actions. I'm bad at that too. xx

      Delete
  2. The vision in one of my eyes is so dominant that my brain ignores the weaker eye and as a consequence I have no depth perception. Talk about being clumsy, I trip over everything and break thinks on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same. I had a lazy eye that was corrected surgically. But the outcome was only cosmetic. Parking sensors have been really helpful! xx

      Delete