Wednesday, 22 March 2017

Eating In The Street

I don't know if it was all that running that I did at the weekend but I'm really hungry at the moment.  So even though I'd had breakfast I found myself yesterday, during team meeting, tucking into my self assembled lunch, a grazing box of cheese cubes, cherry tomatoes, grapes and nuts,  before 10am.  It's a scenario that many office workers will find familiar I'm sure.

At around the time that could be officially classed as lunchtime I nipped into the local Coop and bought a  supplementary cheese and onion sandwich and a bag of crisps to pacify that rumbling tummy.   I was off to Exeter for a ward meeting and on the way to the car I started to tuck into to the bag of salt and vinegar sticks.  It brought back a memory.

When I was  a child in the seventies eating in the streets was a no-no, a social faux-pas.  I remember my Mama Lovelygrey buying a bakery snack when we were out shopping  once and we had to cower in an alleyway to eat. I thought that it was all a bit silly myself but my mum was insistent.  Etiquette had to be preserved.   Now that street food is an established part of British culture is it now completely acceptable to be seen snaffling a sausage roll in public?




14 comments:

  1. Eating in the street was considered very common years ago. I don't remember having snacks between meals at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Common! Now there's a word I don't hear much anymore. Probably sums up what Mum thought though. xx

      Delete
    2. I was also brought up like this - eating on the street was a no no!

      Delete
  2. I dislike the current fad of walking round in the streets ( and in Waitrose) drinking a coffee. It is nearly always young ( ish) women . Why? Answers on a postcard please......as they used to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows? Don't do it much myself - mainly on cost grounds. All those take out coffees add up in price. I've got a flask. xx

      Delete
  3. I'd still get the death stare from my mum if I ate something in the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think my mum has one of those as well! xx

      Delete
  4. I agree about the walking around with a coffee in hand. Whats that all about ? Come to that, bottles of water too. The only acceptable food to be eaten in the street is good old fish and chips, (at the seaside )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really embarrassed now-boorish American, as when we visited the UK a few years ago, I always had my water bottle, and often we were walking and munching on a granola bar, crackers, or piece of fruit between our sites. Sorry, but then I also chatted people up on the tube, which my daughter scolded me for later. The people were pleasant back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's a big thing these days. I'm reminiscing back to old times. xx

      Delete
  6. I still don't hold with it, it is downright common and sluttish. Ice cream at the seaside is acceptable if near the beach but not in a street. These rules are straight from my Mum, born in 1904!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Common AND sluttish in one sentence. I laughed a lot! xx

      Delete