Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Happy 14th

Wow!  Where has all that time gone?  It seems only yesterday that I was in a delivery suite where the birthing pool and scented candles had been redundant.  Louis had decided that following a birth plan was complete and utter bollocks.  He came into the world as he meant to go on, exerting his peculiar brand of authority.   So instead of floating around in a fluffy dressing  gown  presenting a picture of serenity I was lying immobile and catheterised after a C-section with black bags under my eye that could have held a week's worth of garbage. The  small pink baby that had resisted emergence to the world outside the womb for three whole days was lying on my tummy making weird snuffling noises. I didn't have one iota of a clue how to look after him but somehow I muddled along.   As I've been doing since.  Okay perhaps 2003 isn't really yesterday but it doesn't seem all that far back.

Fast forward fourteen years.  It occurred to me the other day that being the single mum of an only child was really rather special.  Happy birthday beautiful son.   As well as all the challenges that started on day one, you've brought incredible joy.

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you both! Mum always says it feels like yesterday when I was born...in the 80s! It must be a mum thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, happy birthday Louis! (I bet he'll be really chuffed that assorted unknown women of a certain age are sending him birthday wishes! lol). He does look like you. Single mum of an only child means you have a very special bond, which shines through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was quite pleased. Lots of people say he looks like me. He's not too thrilled about it! xx

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday wishes, Louis. May all your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he's got the travel bug and some pretty wonderful plans for when he grows up. xx

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday young man...have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday. It can be very challenging having a teen, but also hugely rewarding. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought teen years would be the toughest but it's been pretty good so far. xx

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Your birthing plan sounds similar to mine. I had the pool and the music and the midwife ready, however both boys required c-sections ruining my unrealistic dreams of natural childbirth.... Never mind, I love them beyond love, so it didn't matter in the end :) Happy 14th birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - can't quite fathom the birthing plan thing. Seems like a pretty silly thing to try and control after the event! xx

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday to Lou! He's a credit to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your handsome boy! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is pretty handsome and knows it. His dad's girlfriend's daughter told him he was ugly the other day. No-one's ever said that before I don't think. Apparently he was very cross! xx

      Delete
  9. Happy Birfday Louis! Time does fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep and I'm 52 in a few days as well. School and university seem like yesterday. xx

      Delete
  10. Oh, I missed it, so sorry! I am certain that he had a marvellous day though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did. I took cakes into school and we had sushi, his favourite, in the evening. xx

      Delete