Thursday, 2 March 2017

I Just Bought A Paddy Field

It's a wee while since I wrote about my lendwithcare activities, my loans to people in the Third World.  They tick along nicely in the background, apparently changing lives.  It's such a wonderful idea that I thought I'd bring it to the attention of newer readers.  There's about £170 in the account, added in dribs and drabs over the years.  It gets recycled as instalments are repaid. I  view the money as a gift that I'll never drawn back.

So I've now lent nearly £600 to seventy three different people working on twenty eight different projects.  lendwithcare say I've helped 288 family members and created thirty one jobs.  I love the diversity of what these people do with my money.  There is a wedding photographers, a rickshaw owner, an internet cafe owner and a lady who is now able to recycle her pig poo.  What strikes me is the tiny needed to help people make significant improvements to their lives.  Some people are only asking for a couple of hundred quid and yet the income gains from their investments seem so significant.

And so now I've helped to buy a paddy field.  Conditions are right in Devon to have one here at the moment as it's so soggy but no.  This one's in a Cambodian  village and sixteen of us have helped this lovely smily lady, Yoeurn Yat to get  the funds together to increase rice production to meet extra local demand.   Let's hope my little loan is life changing for her and her family!

21 comments:

  1. I looked at a similar scheme a couple of years ago, but never did anything about it. I will take look at " lendwithcare".

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. It was lendwithcare that I saw before. I remember the webpage having looked again! I have joined and lent £30 to a business in Zimbabwe...4 ladies who raise chickens to sell to restaurants etc. It is hard to choose who to help isn't it? I chose Zimbabwe as I used to work at the bank with a lovely young man who came from there. He had to leave his little boy back home with grandparents when he and his wife came, as they weren't allowed to bring him/maybe thought he was better off where he was! They subsequently had 2 babies here and last time I asked he is still working for the bank locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to choose a mixture of countries and projects and people of both sexes. I've got allsorts in my account. It's fun. xx

      Delete
  3. What a fab idea, thanks for sharing, I will go take a look. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent please enjoy and think about a little loan. xx

      Delete
    2. I only went and did it ! made a small loan to help someone on their way. I think I may well do a small loan each month as cant afford large lumps !

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I think so - and I don't miss the money that I give. It goes in dribs and drabs. xx

      Delete
  5. Just wanted to thank you for this post. Microfinance has been something I've thought about being involved with for a while now & after reading your post I've joined Lend With Care. This & being a regular purchaser of The Big Issue are going to be my small ways of making a difference this year.
    Love your blog, also.
    Best Wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for kind thoughts and joining. If we all do little acts of kindness it adds up to rather a lot. After all there are billions of us. xx

      Delete
  6. Good for you! I've recently blogged about this at View from the Teapot as someone gave me a gift voucher which I matched. I chose two people only today! I think it's a Very Good Thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gift vouchers are a great idea because people can draw the money later if they need it. Might get one for Lou on his birthday to start his giving habit early on. xx

      Delete
  7. Because of your original post (some years ago) I also have an account at Lend with care and add bits of money to the original £60 I started with. It feels so nice to help people who have the energy to try to improve their lives with their work, so much nicer than donating to 'a good cause' since you are able to see how the lives have been improved. So thank you for your original post m'dear. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool. I'm really chuffed that these posts make a different and encourage people to join in everytime that I post one. xx

      Delete
  8. You are a force for good in this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of us need to be a tiny one. It's to counter all that evil! xx

      Delete
  9. You have inspired us too! I looked at this about a year ago with a different company but something in their T&Cs irritated me and I didn't pursue it. I looked at lendwithcare yesterday and decided just to go with it. I put in a lump sum (of my husband's money ��) and we chose a few people to give loans to. It was hard to choose but we went with the ones who hadn't asked for a lot to start with or whose causes we could identify with. So now we will have a hand in building someone a new bathroom and in stocking a mobile phone shop (becaus our son is addicted to his phone) and in the widow expanding her brick works. Thank you for inspiring us. Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just touched that my post has spurred a few people to give. Thanks Helen that you've done so too. xx

      Delete
  10. Your post was the trigger needed to do something which I thought I would do when you last posted about it so have gone with Lendwithcare in view of your experiences. J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad that I inspired another person. Thank you so much. xx

      Delete