Monday, 20 March 2017

Just Like Flashdance - With Medals!

I've gone so super quiet on the running front lately that I bet some of you thought that I'd changed my  exercise regime from 'Couch to 5K' back to '5K to Couch Potato'!  But no.  Quietly in the background my fitness plan has been ticking away.  I'm normally out pounding the pavements for 45 minutes twice a week on weekdays.  Then at weekends I've been doing longer and longer runs.  After all I promised my sister that I'd run a half marathon in her memory and the Great Bristol Half Marathon beckons in September.

As an interim step Disco Queen Vikki and I signed up for the  Exerer Age UK's '80s run, a respectable 10K.  It was held yesterday.  'Can I come round and raid your wardrobe?'  I asked my lovely running companion.  'It's all in hand chick.'  she texted back.  And so it was.  Here we are doled up in custom made tutus, sparkly headbands, lurid baggy Ts, fishnet gloves and pink hairspray It was just like Flashdance!
How we did get on?  Well slowly and surely was our mantra. We are novice runners in our '50s after all.  The winner got round the course in an impressive 32 minutes.  Vikki jogged the whole route and came in with a time of 1:18-ish.  The insole in my trainer started to rub at about the 8th kilometre mark so I took it easy and walked a little bit at the end of the course.  After all I'm used to including my five minute warm up and warm down strolls in with my time.   I came in about five minutes after my sparkly friend. Something needs sorting out on the footwear front before I tackle another long run.

Again this is a measure of how far I've come in the three years since the operation on my knee to repair a snapped cruciate ligament.  It was great that, in spite of being disguised in a curly afro wig I recognised Mark, the physiotherapist who treated me at that time.  He  was doing the run as well.  I was happy that he could see that I was one of his success stories.

This is us just after we finished.  Are you surprised at just how perky we look?




We are super happy with our funky medals and the fact that we've raised money for Age UK's work in Exeter.  Some of the funds donated includes money from my sister's estate.  She overpaid her rent before she died so that the repayment is going in the kitty.  I hope that she was watching us from her cloud above yesterday and is pleased that yet another good thing has been done in her memory.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! That's a brilliant achievement

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant very well done. You must be so pleased with your achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done, great achievement, love the medal.😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done the both of you. I love your colourful shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one, a very satisfying achievement, especially post knee probs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! And what a nice tribute for your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done. You both look dead cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done that woman, love the outfit too.

    ReplyDelete