Monday, 27 March 2017

Pulling

I dug around in the freezer yesterday and retrieved a yellow stickered shoulder of pork.   If I was a proper thrift blogger I'd be able to tell you how much it cost to the penny but dang!  I threw the label away without checking.  It was about £4.50.  I made pulled pork in my slow cooker with it.   Here's the result served with spring greens laced with anchovies and buttery mash.  There's an amazing amount left over that will keep us going for at least the next couple of days, if not more.  We're having some more with garlic bread and salad tonight.

I used this  easy-peasy recipe here.  Of course I went off piste.   I  am a culinary maverick, viewing cooking instructions as loose guidelines and not something to be followed to the letter. What the hell are garlic and onion powders anyway?  They sound like something that astronauts cook with.  I ditched them and just added three crushed cloves of garlic to the spice mix instead.  I can vouch for the fact that my adjustment didn't detract from deliciousness!

5 comments:

  1. The spring greens with anchovies sounds intriguing!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finally chopped a tin of anchovies and stir fry with spring greens. It's lush. Goes much better with lamb but Louis loves those salty little beggars and it's a way of getting him to eat his greens, whatever the accompaniment. xx

      Delete
  2. Garlic and Onion powders are pretty common in north American kitchens.

    I think they are a safety item. Because when it's -40 and snowing I'm not heading out for Garlic!

    It's one of those things we all have in pantry stash, just incase... And then a lot of people don't use garlic cloves at all, so in a pinch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I know. I was just jesting. I like the idea that in the snowy wastes of North America people can still have their garlic and onion fixes. xx

      Delete
  3. Anchovies AND spring greens? Oh, I say, I must try that it sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete