Tuesday, 4 April 2017

A Little Extra

As of a few days ago I became the proud owner of two blogs.  There's this one where I can be silly, random and talk about hocus pocus and strange things that have tickled me.  The other is an entirely different kettle of fish.

I've been writing about dementia on and off over the years.  Being my area of work it's a subject that's close to my heart.  So I've set up  Dementia Extra where I'll be posting twice weekly.  It's part of my website Dementia Consultant which I've developed to launch a new business to run alongside working in the NHS.  I've needed a new challenge career wise for a while.  Some more pennies to pay of the mortgage and for home improvements would be welcome as well.  Who knows where it will take me.  I've dreamed of self employment for a long time and have finally bitten the bullet.

So for the last month I've been busy, busy setting up a tiny new business on a shoestring.  I've got a fledging set of accounts, read a book about launching a start up, found out about business incorporation, how to make online training packages,,,,the list goes on and on.  Oh, and a man from Fiverr designed me this very reasonably priced logo!  Most time though  has been spent designing my website and getting it up and running.  I'd love it if you'd take a look and let me know what you think, good and bad. My brother and Salty Dog, who has  her own social media marketing company, were frighteningly brutal about my first efforts.  But constructive criticism is good and I'm a big girl. So I've taken everything they've said on board and they're pleased with it now.  I know that some of the social media links don't work yet but I'm onto that and everything should be fully functional by the end of the week.

In such a dire financial climate health and social care have limited resources to offer.  My aim is to plug some of those gaps by providing extra assessments, intervention and support services to people with dementia and those who support them personally and professionally.    Over the next few months my services will be coming 'live' on the Dementia Consultant website.  I'd love to develop these in conjunction with people who are involved in using and providing services. Please contact me  if you have any ideas for how best of what it would be good for me to offer. I'd love to hear from you.

And like and share my new site and blog if you feel inclined on Facebook and Twitter.  I have been a reluctant Tweeter in the past but now I'm getting into a bit of a groove!

17 comments:

  1. Gosh how exciting!!! Your own business! I'm very impressed (the thought of freelancing scares me currently).

    I like the logo :-) I wish you best of luck with this new endeavour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always start the way that I'm trying to - on top of full-time paid job. I've found it fun planning the new business. It doesn't seem like work. xx

      Delete
  2. I have read through most of your new website. It all looks and sounds excellent to me.
    I haven't had a lot of experience of dementia, though my MIL had a form of it and I occasionally had to look after her. Is it true that if you know that you can't remember something, there isn't too much wrong? I often can't recall a familiar name of something....I feel that if it hasn't come to me immediately my brain " panics" and if I think about other things, when I come back to getting the name...it is there, no problem! Good luck with the new venture.....you are off to a good start with that website. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah there's the reason I find working with these people so rewarding Their experiences are all so different. Some people do retain incredible amounts of insight into what's wrong with them and often that brings distress. It all depends on how insightful they were before the disease struck and the bits of the brain affected. xx

      Delete
  3. Wow! Good for you and I'm feeling it will become a trusted go to resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant news that you've got the blog up and running. I'm sharing it with my folks as we have a family member with a recent diagnosis of vascular and Altzeimers.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I hope that they find it useful. Thanks xx

      Delete
  5. Fab! With an aging population dementia needs to be addressed more readily rather than something that happens to others. I think its great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is of concern to everyone. Most of us are likely to be affected one way or another. xx

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your new venture. Wishing you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fantastic. An easy to understand, accessible resource for people finding themselves in new and challenging circumstances. I have worked with people living with dementia and their families for many years and the more information available to them can only be a good thing.
    And an exciting time for you with your new business. Congratulations. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will also give me a chance to work in ways additional to my NHS work that I've been wanting to try for a long time. xx

      Delete
  8. Very, very best of luck with your new venture. It looks incredible so far - your writing is so approachable. Sadly I think you are definitely offering services which are badly needed; the poor, overburdened NHS just cannot deal with all the demands that are put upon it these days.

    I look forward to some of your future articles, thankfully I'm not in need of services such as yours but like so many people as I get older I forget things, or it takes me longer to work out something that I would have grasped instantly a couple of decades ago and I guess it is natural to worry a little about such events, especially when the Dementia word is bandied around with such frequency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you find it approachable. Some of the articles will be useful for anyone with memory issues. That's probably most of us! xx

      Delete
  9. I am way behind in blog-reading but wanted to wish you well in your new venture. I see you as Rosie the Rivetter - go gettum! xx

    ReplyDelete