Tuesday, 11 April 2017

Big Girl Bra Buying

Last Friday I went to see a rather wonderful dub band, Mount Nakara in Totnes.   I stayed with a friend,  Skinny Minnie, who was drying her washing.  Her bras were just mere wisps of gorgeous gauziness. Mine in contrast look like dilapidated old hammocks for twin rabbits.  Not those cute little dwarf ones but the gigantic Flemish variety.

It reminded me that I really couldn't put off bra buying any longer.   Some in my drawer have lost underwiring in one cup and can't be worn unless I fancy going for a totally asymmetric look.  Others are the wrong size and one had turned itself into the peephole type, not titillating at this sounds as the hole in question was a big gaping rip under the arm.

I decided to go about the task of replenishing my underwear supply so I measured myself properly the other day.  Bejesus!  There is no way that I'm going to kiss and tell.  Those Flemish bunnies would have room to spread!  What makes the measurement scarier is the fact that I've lost weight since I've started exercising. No wonder there has been some tight squeezing going on.

So yesterday I trotted off down Southend High Street, for I am in Essex at the moment.  I was on a mission to hunt for bargain bras.  The rationale for not buying expensive ones is that I'm still losing weight, and whilst I don't want to lose those curves altogether,  a little bit of a reduction might be a good thing.  I headed straight to Primark but their lingerie stopped short of my size.  Then good old Marks and Spencer but I couldn't bring myself to dole out the cash. I was less than inspired by the designs and the prices were on the hefty side. Rather like myself!

For someone who doesn't really like conventional shopping this was becoming a nightmare.  A plus size shop had some neon coloured lacy numbers which were even bigger than I needed and were frankly scary.  I've decided that my pet hates are:  A) Twin packs of bras where one is lovely and the other is not what I'd wear at all.  Or white.  I've rejected snowy underwear for years on the basis that accidents where they immediately end up in the darks wash are inevitable.  B) Those silly, prissy bows that sit in the cleavage.  What's that about?  C) Overfussiness which seems to make boobs that are already on the large side look gargantuan.

Eventually both Peacocks and Asda came up trumps.  Although my choice was limited, in both of these shops I found modestly priced understated prettiness.  There was even some money spare for matching knickers.   And for the first time in ages I have bras that fit, are comfy and yes, look really lovely with and without clothes.  Maybe if the exercise works and I drop another size or two, replacing them won't be quite so tortuous.

12 comments:

  1. You've just reminded me a wire came out of one of mine the other day. Time for some replacements here too I think. As with Jeans it can be a bugger to get that perfect fit. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't do jeans thank goodness. Think they'd be even more of a consumer nightmare. I'll stick to my dresses. xx

      Delete
  2. Laughed at your comment about the silly bows in the middle - I so agree!

    I too have been putting off bra replacing (and mine are also of the double hammock variety...).
    Once you have stabilised in size I find online retail a good option when one knows one's size

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think online will be an option when I've 'stabilised'. After all it's where I seem to shop for everything else that's new. xx

      Delete
  3. I hate buying the wretched things too. I dyed my white bras with tea to make them flesh coloured when they were no longer pristine white so I could delay having to buy any more for a while as they were still wearable. I'm such a slattern!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dying bras with tea! Ilaughed a lot. Meanqueen would be so proud of you. xx

      Delete
  4. I too have lost weight and so need to replace the big bazooka bras. Every time I find a style I like, Bravissimo makes it obsolete! I have tried on loads in every shop I can think of and finally settled for some that were ok. Why can't makers peovide plain and simole undies that do the job without bows, lace etc which all show through your clothes. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I like is something in between dead boring and outright fussy that yes, shows through clothes. That's the hard stuff to find. xx

      Delete
    2. Hussy!��Catriona

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Ah bless. I thought it was of mine too but now I'm on a roll. Bought two more yesterday and will purge my tatty underwear drawer when I get home later. xx

      Delete