Saturday, 29 April 2017

Book vs. Kindle


'Okay Joo,' you might be thinking.  'If you're writing a post about books, kindles and the like, then why have you got a picture of a gramophone.  Ah ha!  There's a tenuous link.  Apparently record players have made a comeback among today's young people.  And I read somewhere that the experts don't think that this is a craze. They're here to stay.

So vinyl sales are up even though I'm happy myself to stick to Spotify.  Never in my wildest imagination as a teenager did I think that I could have instant access to all the music I could ever want.  It is a dream come true. But even though I favour hi-tech when it comes to my music, I've never been that way with my reading material.

Although I've downloaded a few books to my phone I've never be a Kindle owner. Give me a good old fashioned paper book any time.  I spend enough time staring at screens as it is.   The only time that I think I'll possibly favour e-books is when Louis leaves home and I resume my wilderness backpacking adventures.   A book was always the luxury item that I carried but only ever one.  It was torture if I'd finished it in the middle of nowhere.  A tablet based library would solve that problem and be lighter.  For the weight that is carried is constantly on the mind of the long distance hiker.

I was super pleased to read in this Guardian article that sales of proper books are on the increase too.  Long may it last for they are tactile beautiful things that smell lush when they are new.  As if to confirm the trend I nearly bumped into a very funky young girl the other day.  She was not looking where she was going.  I wouldn't have given it a second thought if she'd be staring at her phone but no.  She had her nose in a book.


12 comments:

  1. Like you I definitely prefer a book. I think it's the whole ritual of being able to turn the pages, the smell of it, the brand new books where you try your best not to crease the spine. A book is also less likely to get broken and doesn't need charging. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the breaking thing is pertinent. I've got through phones at a rate of knots. Learned my lesson now and have a super robust case. xx

      Delete
  2. Kindle=caravan and book =house or book group. My dilema Julie is that I am trying to declutter and books along with fabric are my downfall. Prefer books but realise I'm trying not to fill the spaces left by books given away! Happy long weekend. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite good with getting rid of most books these days but cook books and ones about crafting are still my downfall. xx

      Delete
  3. I don't have a kindle, but I know my parents find theirs invaluable when they're away in their holiday home for a month. However, we are still very book orientated in our family and part of the pleasure is sharing them. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and my friends share our books too. That's a big part of why I like them. xx

      Delete
  4. My Kobo is fab when I'm travelling - I used to take 26 books to India! It cost me £20 on eBay and it's loaded with over 500 books, all of which were free (legal) downloads. At home it's the real thing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 26 books: You go girl! Yes, will definitely go with tablet when travelling for any length of time in the future - and a solar charger. xx

      Delete
  5. Add me to the list of people who prefer a "real" book to an e-book.
    Myra, from Winnipeg, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! Thanks for the comment Myra. xx

      Delete
  6. I will always prefer to read real books but I have almost all of Anthony Trollope's book on my Kindle, at no charge, which is very useful when on holiday or in waiting rooms etc. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'might reading a Christmas Carol free of charge on the Kindle app on my phone at the moment xx

      Delete