Monday, 10 April 2017

Chin Chin

I'm not the biggest spirit drinker going.  Amber coloured real ales or French wines are my tipples of choice.  But if you're offering, yes, I am rather partial to a gin and tonic, thank you very much.

You might remember that, each year at peak foraging time, I buy enough bottles of the cheapeast gin I can muster to embarrass myself at the supermarket checkout.  Then I stick sloes in it.  A lot of my production is given away.  The rest is often brought out as an end of meal treat. Friends seem to appreciate that.

Hortus though is an entirely different kettle of fish and steeping autumnal fruits could be viewed a sacrilege. Tonic and ice and a slice suffice.  Isn't the bottle beautiful?  It's topped with a lovely wooden cork. The fact that empties could be used for my homemade liqueur collection convinced me to cough up.

What's surprised the snobbiest of my friends is that it's from Lidl.  The natty little label informs me that this is  an artisan gin devised by Kevin Love, a bloke that used to work for Heston Blummenthal and it's stuffed full of botanicals.  I can't comment on that.  My taste is not that refined.  All I know that it is bloody lovely, really smooth. And at £15.99 a pop it's much more affordable than some of those posh gins that I've bought extra special friends for extra special presents in the past.  I've only tasted the ordinary version but it comes in a spiced variety.  There's a sloe gin as well. Might have to try that if I ever run out of my own home grown version!

8 comments:

  1. I too appreciate an occasional gin and tonic (and really don't drink any other spirits).

    I may have to try this.
    I've tried Sipsmith before, which is very very good , but more than £15 (more like 25)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that'sounds the sort of premium price I was thinking. xx

      Delete
  2. Good to know. I may indulge. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love an occasional decent G&T. Unfortunately the older I get the less I seem able to tolerate booze . . . have become very cheap to take out, one drink and my head is spinning!

    At Christmas I was given a delicious Port gift set - four quarter-sized bottles, 10 yrs, 20, 30 and 40. Very delicious they were too and stylishly presented. It came from Aldi which I am sure would upset the purists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the purists like a bargain as much as anyone! xx

      Delete
  4. I would have a taste of that gin without a problem though I prefer to drink it neat if it is smooth. In Scotland, in December, I visited some whisky distilleries and sampled many different gins. It would have been churlish to refuse to buy a bottle or three...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very smooth. I think it would be fine neat if that's your penchant. xx

      Delete