Sunday, 2 April 2017

Laughing with A Ladybird

Thank you for my lovely birthday greetings. I was very chuffed to receive kind words from so many of you.  I had a wonderful day organised by Salty Dog which included charity shopping where I found some brilliant '60s retro side plates, a coast path walk to Paignton, eating popcorn in the front seats of the top of a double decker bus back home and a meal in Simply Fish my favourite restaurant with 'my boys' and 'my others boys'.

My presents included The Ladybird Book of Mindfulness from my friend M in the Midlands. one of a series of tongue in cheek books that aims to help grown ups cope with the world around them through careful choice of words, frequent repetition and the thoughtful matching of text with pictures.  Just like the Ladybird books from childhood then!  I'm self deprecating enough about myself and my hippy leanings to have  realised that this would be a gift that came my way at some point in time!  Here's some of the pages that raised the biggest laughs.

14 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you had a lovely day. Those 2 pages gave me a good laugh!
    We get quite a lot of those books given to the Oxfam bookshop that I help at...I guess that once they have been read , ( it doesn't take long) that's it !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping mine - for a while at least! xx

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a lovely day out. That's my idea of a good day too. Those books look funny. I have glanced at them occasionally in the book shop but I'm tempted to buy one now. You can't beat a good giggle. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be able to pick one up at a charity shop. See Frances' comment above. xx

      Delete
  3. sounds like a fab day. happy belated birthday. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it was a good one. xx

      Delete
  4. Happy belated birthday!!
    I too received that book last Christmas - it's a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it too. There's some other pages that tickled me as well. xx

      Delete
  5. I thought Darma was going to be a girl, had to laugh at curry
    Much funnier. I'm glad your day was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dhama would make a very good girl's name but it befits a curry better. Would have to be a vegan one. xx

      Delete
  6. Happy belated birthday. Love the book. How funny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. Thanks for birthday wishes. xx

      Delete
  7. Glad you had a good birthday! I was given The Hipster volume of that series. My favourite line: Hipsters think plates are very old fashioned. They prefer to eat from planks, tiles and first-generation iPads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That madeemail giggle. Thanks. xx

      Delete