Thursday, 13 April 2017

Like A Dress Pattern

I found this on the Internet.  It's the 'Vogue Advanced' pattern for the dress I made when I got married many moons ago.  My version was peacock blue, a compromise, because Mama Lovelygrey had refused point blank to let me go down the aisle in 'hussy' red.   I recall that the long sleeved version of the frock that I made had about fifty pattern pieces and I was still making it the night before the wedding!  Some tears were shed although if I say so myself I pulled it off at the last minute and looked lush.  If I ever get hitched again though I don't think I'll be quite as ambitious. Maybe I'd rustle something equally fabulous but more straightforward in design...or I could be tempted to go for effort-free vintage.  It could even be white now I've calmed down a bit.

All that I really had to do to create such a frou-frou frock was follow a set of instructions and be able to use a pretty basic sewing machine.  There are parallels with building the website for my new Dementia Consultant business.  I did it myself.  'How difficult can this be?' I thought.  After all I've designed a blog and cobbled together a fair few presentations in my time.  Basic stuff akin to using my the Singer 99K that I inherited from my nan.   So over a month my site evolved.  I  When I wanted to add something but didn't know how I used good old Google to find the answer.   The site is fairly simple but I wonder who'd guess that it had been made by a web newbie. I'm pretty pleased with the way it's turned out and it now passes muster with my once critical artist brother and social media marketing friend as well.

I've used Wix as a platform for my site rather than the more popular Wordpress. I'd been told that it was more user-friendly for beginners. I have to say that experience of using Blogger and Powerpoint was enough to get me going and the in-house help is excellent. For the majority of conundrums that I've thought  up there's a step by step guide on how they can be solved . With online assistance I've also attached my domain name, set up a company and made an emoticon that appears in the tab displayed above webpages.  I'm now just about to start to use Thinkific that will let me produce online training assistance.  Have I done any of  this before?   No, but again it's all about following instructions.  It's just like attaching a bustle or fitting a mutton sleeve!

And so I'd urge those who lack confidence to be a bit more gung-ho.  Think about the general skills that you've got. With a bit of imagination, assistance from a virtual friend and a sudden rush of audacity you could surprise yourself and turn your hand to something completely different than anything that you've ever done in the past!

16 comments:

  1. I do admire your confidence in acquiring new skills! I, au contraire, am a bit is a scaredy cat when it comes to trying new things .

    PS. I smiled at the image of you and mama lovely grey arguing over the colour of the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to be a scaredy cat in my younger years but it was so disabling. 'Feel the fear and do it anyway' is a good motto. xx

      Delete
  2. I have checked out your website and I am impressed. You have made a really good job of it and there is a lot of content. I am also impressed that you made that dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's kind. I'm a little bit amazed re: the website at what I've been able to achieve myself. The software is so powerful and easy to use these days. xx

      Delete
  3. I would not have tackled that gorgeous dress, but I used to do lots of "dressmaking" in my youth. I even made a pair of trousers for my husband! Last Monday I had to show my DIL how to use my sewing machine to shorten some curtains.......having not used it in years, I was unable to explain how to get the thread from the spool to the needle, but when I sat down in front of it, old memories surfaced and it was done in a tick! Anything computer related is not my thing at all, though I am getting braver at " clicking" on things, just to see what happens! I can do what I need to.....ie buy things, read blogs, look at maps, find things out. etc etc. Luckily I don't need to make a website!! Yours is brilliant. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that threading up a machine is hard to explain but comes easily. I've never made clothes for a bloke, not even a littl'un. One of 'my boys' is thinking of getting a sewing machine though. He hankers after making some shirts. xx

      Delete
  4. Well done. I've done nothing more in two years than buy the domain, and put up shell for future postings. www.samandcoffee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all I had for a while. It takes a leap of faith....xx

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! I looked at the website following the link and I can't believe you did all that in such a short time. Well done you. I have two friends die within the last year after being diagnosed in their middle fifties. It's the only condition in life that truly scares me and I try to learn as much as possible about dementia and the progress being made in research. I am part of an older peoples group who try to promote the idea of living well, including those with dementia, by keeping physically and mentally active for as long as possible. I'll keep reading your other blog if that's ok as I like to learn new things whilst growing older. I'm definitely in the category that knows growing old is inevitible but growing up is optional. First tattoo on 1st March aged 67. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like the blog and really chuffed that think it will be useful as a learning tool. If you're on Facebook or Twitter and 'friend' Dementia Consultant I'm posting extra information from other people too. Your group sounds brilliant and all the more so for being inclusive. Keeping mentally fit and active is key to good health. But I would say that wouldn't I? I'm an occupational therapist. xx

      Delete
  6. wow, go you, love the Dementia site, good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've passed details of your site to my friends family who have a member with dementia. I'm sure it will be a big help in their understanding and day to day coping stratagies.

    I love your wedding dress, looks far to complicated for my sewing skills. I have bought simple patterns recently but written instructions don't make sense to me, I need to see lots of you tube demo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for passing those details on. I need a good following to make this work. And yes, I'm a fan of those YouTube demos as well. xx

      Delete
  8. Your new site looks very professional, a brilliant start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm really surprised by how good DIY website building can look myself. xx

      Delete