Saturday, 22 April 2017

Nee Naw and Gratefulness

Just when I thought that work couldn't get any more stupid  it did. After the bank holiday I went on a two day course and then returned to the office.  By 9:38 on Thursday I had taken and received eight phone calls.  A day of mayhem followed.  I returned home at the end of the day with a bit of a stress head on.

Realistically, in an overstretched NHS, I don't see this situation improving. It seems the only thing to do is to change my perspective whilst working on Plan B.   These days I make dammed sure that I do everything possible to keep well: eat regularly and healthily, avoid self medicating with alcohol,  hydrating myself, exercising, meditating, having fun outside work with friends and family.  You know the stuff.  It isn't rocket science.  I'm always looking for more ways of preserving sanity too.

Friday was even more barmy.  I arrived home exhausted but I'd enjoyed my day. But instead of getting embroiled in the mayhem  I decided to highlight  the good bits..  So here they are.

One of the people that I see with a significant depression said that I was like a ray of sunshine and I light up everywhere that I go.  Louis would beg to differ when I go into his bedroom in the morning to wake him but there you go.   A colleague complimented my on my resilience.  I liked that.   I'm managing to stay focused on the trees in the landscape as I drive about.  They are incredibly beautiful symbols of strength, reminding me to stay present in the moment and not to 'dwell on what has passed away and what is yet to be', good advice from my mate Leonard Cohen.

What else?  Someone who has historically run away from mental health workers when they're ill phoned me when they were in trouble.  That meant a lot.  And in the course of my work, rather than because I'd been very naughty, I got my first ever ride in a police car,  a Skoda  big brother  of Leif.   Even though it was a sedate affair, and didn't involve a blue lighted chase around the lanes catching baddies it brought on a feeling of childish excitement!

8 comments:

  1. Excellent news. I have completed Day 1 of my Mental Health First Aid course and although we had to talk about some very uncomfortable issues, it was interesting and informative. Enjoy your weekend-the sun is finally shining here in Scotland and DH has promisec me a day by the sea-wheeeee! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had fun. The sun shone here and the sea was sparkly! xx

      Delete
  2. I am all for finding coping strategies. To combat boredom on my long motorway trips, I would take my mind off somewhere else. It's amazing how the truck knew exactly where I wanted to go.

    I met our new community bobby for the second time yesterday. Dave is a lovely fella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the one in my work patch is called Dave too. He's a darling and pops into one of my peeps when they are getting poorly to make sure that they are eating and drinking. That's how wonderful neighbourhood policing can be in low crime areas. xx

      Delete
  3. What's worse, affordable health care that's stretched to limits as you have or only rich affording it due to insurance and deductibles the US has? It's all a head on mess, but your strategies to protect yourself are crucial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a Brit I'll plump for an under-resourced NHS any day rather than the US system. I am always quite distressed when I visit Seattle about how many people who are quite clearly psychotic are out on the streets and not being cared for. xx

      Delete
  4. Yes, keep looking at the trees, they are a good source of energy.

    ReplyDelete