Wednesday, 5 April 2017

The Week I Thought I MIght Try Vegan

Once when Louis was a nipper I explained to him what a vegan was.  'No way!' he exclaimed.  The boy loves his meat.  He's just one step away from a sabre toothed tiger in terms of his carnivorous tendencies and has been eating his steak rare for as long as I remember.  But he's in Portugal with his dad until Sunday so I don't have to cater to his particular food preferences at the moment.

'I could try being vegan for the week.'  I thought at 9:30am on Monday as I drove to my first appointment. After all I admire the ethical stance taken by my fellow souls who've gone down this path.  It's probably not for me full-time but I thought it would be interesting to try this type of diet to increase my cruelty free repetoire in the longer term.  Then I remembered the lunch box I'd made myself earlier in the morning.  It has little cubes of the salty vintage cheddar that I'm particularly fond of in it.  Mmmm!  I couldn't waste that.

Supper was a couple of baked potatoes with mashed avocado. Maybe I could start over with those good intentions.  Then I noticed that there was some leftover chorizo that needed using up in the fridge and after that I was on a roll.  I was well and truly down a slippery slope.  The best part of a third of a pat of butter was mashed into the spud and then sprinkled liberally with salt and pepper before I applied the topping.  It really was rather a delicious combo.

Must try harder, Lovelygrey.  Vegan week didn't even get off the ground this time around.  I will give it a go when Louis is away again.  A bit more forward planning might be helpful next time.

10 comments:

  1. Haha, I've been caught like that, I'm already a veggi-whimp so thought that being vegan was an easy step forward..... nope. First hurdle? Congratulating myself on my decision by putting the kettle on and drinking a milky brew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do soya milk...if I really have to! xx

      Delete
  2. I don't think that humans were meant to be vegan...a little bit of what you fancy and some of the various food groups to keep you healthy. Someone round here has been writing on dog poo bins (and anything they can write on ).....along the lines of " do you like animals...don't eat them". I doubt that it will change anyone's mind! What do they think would happen to all the cows, sheep, pigs etc if the world suddenly turned veggie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would certainly change our landscape. Someone told me the other day that the time was not far off when we would be able to grow meat from just a few animal cells. xx

      Delete
  3. I've been vegetarian for 48 years of my life but I wouldn't want to be vegan. Admirable it may be I know it would be an absolute nightmare in India where they stick paneer in everything and give up street chai? Never! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be pescetarian before Louis was born and vegetarian in my twenties. Even those diets are hard in some places. I have noticed more vegan choices in restaurants around here lately so maybe it's getting easier. xx

      Delete
  4. We've at least my daughters and I, have moved towards less and less meat. One has neen vegetarian since 12. Dairy and eggs are out vegan Achilles heel. Love our cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dairy would be my downfall rather than meat. I love my butter and cheese. xx

      Delete
  5. It will give you a fantastic opportunity to try different things which you may not be familiar with this week!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely. I will try harder next time just for the culinary experience. xx

      Delete