Friday, 26 May 2017

A Pile of Books


Half term starts at 3:30 today but, aside from catching up on a few notes, I'm already off work.  We're setting out on our travels this evening.   Now who's we?  Well there's me,  Louis and Klaus the Knaus, my trusty motorhome of course. And this time another person is coming with us.  You'll find out more tomorrow .  So where are we heading?  Well,  if you saunter back and look at my posts from this time of year since 2013 it won't be a surprise where we're going.  'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!' is my Whitsun getaway mantra.

I'm going to use the time away in three ways.  I'm really looking forward to working on working on getting new business more intensively than I ever can in a working week,  This doesn't feel onerous. It's exciting and fascinating.  Of course I want to spend time with Lou and our mystery guest.  And there will be some relaxing and taking care of myself.  Lots of swimming walking, cycling, meditation.  I'm hoping to treat the holiday, in part, like a personal retreat.

Here's my book pile, some already half read so there's a good chance I'll get through the lot.   It's an interesting one as my reading material has come from all sorts of sources and is with me for all sorts of reasons.  We have:

The Girl Before: Red Mel hurried through this so that she could give it to me to read.  She says it's gives food for thought on how someone's environment affects their psyche. Interesting!

A Christmas Carol:  Why this highly unseasonable reading?  Well Lou's studying it for his GCSE English and his teacher suggested that I might like to read along so that I can participate in his learning.

A New Earth: I can't go away without reading from one of my online guru's in tow could I?

Driving Over Lemons: Here was a lovely surprise from the other morning.  M, my friend in the Midlands sent me some holiday reading about Andalusia, another of my favourite getaway destinations.  What a great surprise!

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: And my library book comes highly recommended by another Devonian blogger, Gina Caro.  I've been carrying it about in my handbag and reading snippets on my travels.  Will tidying change my life?  I'll have to find out and start in Klaus the Knaus, my small-space second home.

Happy half term everyone!  

14 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time away! Your plans sound brilliant

    I loved Driving Over Lemons , excellent descriptions of the people and nature in Andalucia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Andalusia as much as Brittany so guess I'll love it. xx

      Delete
  2. I loved Driving Over Lemons, too!
    Have a fab trip! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time. The Muppet Christmas Carol is a treat, after reading the book of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just read "The Girl Before". I really enjoyed it. It keeps you guessing, has good twists and I love the way it alternates between past and present in each chapter. It's a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mel was very taken with it xx

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your break. I liked Driving Over Lemons but Charles Dickens was more enjoyable as an adult then for my Higher English. Hope the weather stays good. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the mention :) I hope you get as much out of the book as I did. It really has had a massive impact on my life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is lovely. Just got to the bit about folding socks!!!xx

      Delete
  7. Driving over lemons (or the sequel) made me sob and snivel on a crowded train to London- anyone guess which part? I enjoyed it immensely, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reckon it's 'Driving Over Lemons' next then xx

      Delete