Sunday, 7 May 2017

Coffee and Me


The normal modus operandi when blogging is to prop myself up  in bed with a million pillows.  Oh okay  I exaggerate.  There are six regular rectangular jobbies and a V-shaped one.  To help the creative process I sup tea from my big stripy Cornishware mug.  The tea drinking continues during throughout the day.   But it's quite rare that I partake of coffee.  Sometimes I'll go for a few weeks without any passing my  lips.

That's not to say that I don't love the stuff. when it's made properly of course.  It's lush in all its various guises.   I adore a double shot espresso,  cappuccino with chocolate dust,  a flat white and an americano with a dash of  cold milk.  Even good instant, cuts the mustard,  although there's probably afficionados who doubt that this exists.  So why aren't I treating myself more often?  It's a question that I asked myself the other day.

When I was a teenager I was a coffee addict.  I used to drink about twelve cups a day.  No wonder I was a bit anxious!  My consumption has dwindled to occasional over the years.  I see coffee as a treat, a bit naughty.  It gives me much more exaggerrated caffeine hit  that gentle tea.  I particularly remember a trip on a ferry to Bainbridge Island off Seattle where I imbibed from what seemed like a bucket of Starbucks.  My head was as buzzy as can be!

When I was living in the motorhome I bought myself one of proper stove top coffee pots. Now it sits by my cooker now but has been redundant.    It's what the Italians use so if it's good enough for those geezers it must make a decent brew.  Perhaps I need to dust it off and bring out my inner barista more often. It's good to ring the changes.

14 comments:

  1. Just reading this has made me want to have one now. I probably drink far too much especially when the other half is around - he's always putting the coffee pot on. Go on...treat yourself! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. Those coffee pots are dead cool. xx

      Delete
  2. I love coffee! I too used to be addicted to it - I worked in an office that had a drinks machine, free, and amazingly the coffee from it was really good. So I drank it continually throughout the day. Having gone to my GP one day because I was suffering a lot with headaches and sleepless nights, he said it was because of my excessive coffee consumption. Duh! it just hadn't occurred to me. I went practically cold turkey overnight (I'm an all or nothing kind of person) - not really the best way of doing it (more headaches), but it worked. I now only drink 1 or sometimes 2 coffees a day, although I'd love more. Tea doesn't really cut it for me, sadly, so it's water most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water is good. I'm trying to increase my intake but tea invariably wins. xx

      Delete
  3. I only have one black coffee first thing in the morning and then cups of green tea throughout the day. I like plain green tea after breakfast and ginger green tea after lunch. I like most flavoured green teas but ginger is favourite. I do like a double espresso occasionally though. It's interesting how people seem to be coffee people or tea people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like green tea. I surprised myself. xx

      Delete
  4. Needless to say by my blog mame, email, Twitter name I love Coffee too. I sometimes have incredible cravings for a cup when ones not available. I'm trying to keep my consumption to before 2:00 so I can sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thought you'd comment Sam. Hope you enjoyed the post. xx

      Delete
  5. I love a coffee- we have a couple of cups a day of filter coffee then it's tea or water. I've just discovered Earl grey Redbush which is perfect for me.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Redbush I can't do. Just the smell makes me gag. I do have some in the cupboard though. It's what Ruff Stu drinks as he used to live in South Africa where it's standard fare.

      Delete
  6. I like good coffee but am trying to restrict myself because I know it revs up my heartbeat. DH is addicted to coffee, has a pod machine and drinks it very strong without milk or sugar. I asked him to please read your post today as I know that it doesn't help his anxiety. He said Mmm! I'll keep trying though. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going decaff is one of the pieces of advice we give to people with anxiety...and sleep problems. I do realise it's just not the same drink. I tried it with tea. Yuk! xx

      Delete
  7. A good coffee is a treat. Really only drink it in Europe or the States. Only drink it in the US because they can't make a decent cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I'm concerned nowhere in Europe does a decent cup of tea apart from the Brits....and maybe the Irish, although I've never tried theirs. I'm thinking Mrs Doyle off Father Ted. xx

      Delete