Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Content


Here's a snap of Klaus the Knaus'  interior that I took yesterday.  At first glance you would not guess he's an old boy in vehicular terms -  22 years old.  He's just passed his MOT after a bit of welding under the bonnet.  The breakdown people had to be called out when I got to the place where he's stored.   I knew that I'd have to use the trusty jump leads.  What alarmed me was that instead of helping the engine to tick over they generated smoke.  'You didn't put them on the wrong way round?' asked the  RAC man as he scrutinised me.  I was looking more girlie than usual that day.  I like the contrast of extreme femininity and driving a large motorhome so I big it up a bit.  I was indignant and rustled up my very ancient A-level physics as proof that I would do anything so stupid.  He shut up after that.  It turned out the casing holding the battery has rusted away and after the bloke started the van after bypassing the earth wire we got going.  I reckon Klaus has got another ten years in him at least.

And so we're reunited and over the last few days I've been spring cleaning.  That tidying book that I mentioned the other day had been read and has hit home.  I've also been reading, setting up  the new business,  cooking for the kids, swimming running, taking in the sea air, getting my bike ready for a few runs out,.........  What I love about my van is the reminder I get when I'm here that I can live very well with much less than in my conventional tow. There's a lightness to existence.  Reassurance indeed in an uncertain world.   Hell, without anyone else in my life I'd probably be back in here tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Hope you are all having a wonderful holiday. Any chance you could please stop reaching into my brain and pulling out thoughts which I had not yet managed to put into words: I can live very well with much less ... without anyone else in my life I'd probably be back in here tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Maybe there's a few more out there of my genre. xx

      Delete
  2. We're hoping to change from a caravan to a motor home this year. Just searching for a suitable vehicle (and price) which is an intersting process. Won't be big like yours as we don't need the space and we need to keep it at home. Looks like you are having a good time so far. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reckon a move away from towing is a good thing! I like the size of mine in that I don't have to put down beds/put up tables and all storage is easy to get at. And I can stand up without stooping and sit to read in bed. Keeping it elsewhere is a compromise that I can accept for that. But each to their own. xx

      Delete
  3. I love that feeling of being on holiday and realising one manages very well without all the stuff! I know, however, that I'd soon miss my 'stuff'! I'd need a bigger klaus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - it's amazing how easily I adapt to living with less. And it isn't too hair-shirted here. Klaus is plenty big enough to house luxuries. xx

      Delete