Monday, 15 May 2017

'Fessing Up Time


Show and tell for the next couple of days.  Let's get confession time out the way first shall we?  It's extraordinarily rare that I buy 'new' new clothes apart from underwear, sportswear, leggings and shoes.  I think my last purchase was a little wrap around skirt in Quiberon when I was on holiday last summer. It cost the princely sum of fifteen Euros  Before that it was the gorgeous cerise dress I bought when my brother got married.  Monsoon's finest but from Ebay at a knockdown price of about thirty five quid.  I've never shown that off on the blog but it's going to get an outing at another wedding in July so you might see it then.  Everyone who wants to be a bridesmaid has to wear pink.  There's going to be a few dozen of us.

And there we were in Dartmouth on Saturday scouring the shops for a pink dress for Mel to wear, Nothing in proper clothes shops normally tempts me these days.  'How much!!!!' I exclaim inwardly when I look at the price tags - even in Primark and the like.  It's hard to adjust when you're a charity shopaholic and used to everything being well under a tenner.

I was surprised then when I was drawn to this dress in Seasalt that wasn't even in the sale area.  It's so me.  The right shape and funky retro.  It's thick cotton that feels like old '50s curtains!   I knew that I'd succumb if I tried it on and it fitted.  So I attempted to stay well away whilst Red Mel was in the changing rooms.  But I kept being drawn back.

To cut a long story short the dress is now hung in my wardrobe.  I'm over the moon with it.   I did a modelling session in the garden earlier as you can see.  Another recent purchase has been a tripod so that I can take photos and make videos for the business.  I need to experiment with it and here was a chance.

So what happened?  Well I explained it to the assistant at the shop counter while Melanie rolled her eyes. Sugar Plumb nearly wet herself laughing when I told her the story as did a random old lady standing nearby who overheard.  And Salty Dog was disparaging so I  gave her a little telling off.  For she did well under similar circumstances the other day when she was the recipient of my picture.  Just as I felt I'd been told to give away some of my most treasured possessions it seemed that I was reminded about abundance and given permission to splash out and treat myself.  This 'God stuff'  seems that it might be working both ways! 

14 comments:

  1. It looks great on you - a worthy investment, see it like that, you will get loads of wear out of it, then it was worth every penny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree about the investment It'll be in my wardrobe for years. xx

      Delete
  2. It looks very nice. The last time I wore a dress was at my son's wedding in October 2015 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I almost wear dresses daily now. They are so easy. Even little skirts are nearly banished now. xx

      Delete
  3. Your dress is lovely! I succumbed this weekend too...but my purchase was a gorgeous, expensive miniature for my dollshouse. Do you want to join me on the naughty step or shall we just head off to the pub for a pint which would be much more in keeping! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The celebratory pint sounds a much better idea! I'll wear the dress. xx

      Delete
  4. It is a lovely dress, you look fab in it. I like Seasalt dresses but the price is a little steep. I only ever buy in the sales but choice is limited then. I do love a good dress or frock as I call them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes frock is the right word. They're expensive but have some lovely prints. xx

      Delete
  5. This is a value purchase, Julie. When it's finally ready to be made into dusters, count how many times you've worn it and I'll bet it's about 20p per wear. Cheap clothes/ clothes that are not quite "you" are the most expensive as they are not a value purchase when they fall apart/don't get worn. You look truly fabulous in the picture above-happy wearing of the frock-don't be keeping it for good! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I've had in mind to do a 'pence per wear' post for a while now as I've thought of that myself. Must get onto it! xx

      Delete
  6. You look fantastic! I think that's why we're charity shopaholics, because nothing on the high street makes our heart sing., it's mostly bland and mediocre. If it did (as this lovely dress did to you) we'd have no qualms in splashing the cash. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cheers. It's lovely to know someone who loves their vintage so much approves. I agree about the high street. It is bland and I don't do shrinking violet when it comes to clothes. Mind you I hardly ever go shopping in 'normal' shops anymore. xx

      Delete
  7. Why the heck not? You look blooming fabulous. X

    ReplyDelete