Wednesday, 10 May 2017

George and Louisa


Here's the ground floor of my home complete with its 'Mad Wall'.  I know its provenance because it was built by George Lovell, the grandfather of a neighbour.  He lived here with his wife Louisa who gave the house its name.  It's a three bedroomed thirties semi and quite typical of its genre in terms of layout. It has fewer of the adornments though that many of the houses of its type have, no deco twists or fancy stained glass. I wonder if it was because George and Louise were Methodists that they kept things plain.

Jackie, my neighbour describes this place as being full of love.   At Christmas trellis tables loaded with food were set up in the room that is now my lounge. Those who could not afford a lavish feast themselves were invited.  It was a hive of activity for the neighbourhood during regatta week too. George was a fisherman who taught most of the other trawlermen in town how to ply their trade. When he passed on the local paper's headline honoured him as  'Father To Us All'.

'Wow!' said my friend Lil' Chris. 'It's one of the lightest places that I've ever been in'.   And it has a wonderful feel, a joyful place.  Maybe it is impregnated with all that goodwill that George and Louisa bestowed here.  I try to continue the tradition and see it as a place to share.  Although I have a whacking great mortgage I have the sense that the house was gifted to me.  I am privileged to live here.

4 comments:

  1. I have been having a catch of your time in the motor home and now this house. I think you are doing an amazing job with the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There's a lot of decorating to do when I have a moment. Ha! Still I'm pleased with it even though the shabby bits aren't of the chic variety! xx

      Delete
  2. Your home complete with mad wall is just gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You'd be welcome to take a peek if you're in the area. xx

      Delete