Saturday, 6 May 2017

My Own Picnic In The Park



Here's a lovely video which, I hope, shows why I held this man in such great self esteem.  He was such a humble compassionate human being.   This bench scene reminded of a time in my early twenties when I first started working in an accountancy firm.   It was a tough time. The other girls there weren't easily accepting of the newbie.  My face didn't fit and I was shy-er in those days.  Home wasn't great either.  I was in a relationship but it wasn't a particularly happy one. Better to be lonely alone than with someone is a lesson that I've learnt over time.

I went to the park at lunchtimes on my own. There I sat, one day,  eating my  sandwiches and watching the world go by.  A  middle aged homeless man with a bottle in a bag came and parked himself next to me..  I'm just wondering now,  if perhaps, I'd reminded him of young adult children of his own that he'd walked out on.  He remarked on how sad I looked.  I hadn't even  realised that it showed..  He offered words of comfort  and then, in an act of kindness, he poured me a little tot of whiskey into the lid of his bottle.  'Go on' he said.  'It's clean'.   It was before my NHS days where alcohol during working hours is a no-no.   Boozy business lunches were the norm then.  I accepted.

I'll always remember that moment.  It taught me how not to judge books by covers.  

6 comments:

  1. Such a witty, compassionate and adorable man. Thank you for posting this, I have not seen it before. Dear Leonard, always loved, always remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It love the way that aural legacies keep people alive. So fond of this man even though I never met him. xx

      Delete
  2. I hadn't seen this before either. He still makes my heart flip, seeing him again and hearing his voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love his voice whether he is speaking or singing. xx

      Delete
  3. Hadn't seen this before. Thanks for posting it, Julie. x

    ReplyDelete