Thursday, 18 May 2017

Not A Load Of Rubbish

Although this could be a picture taken around here it's from Pixabay where I get my royalty-free photos.  Those gulls around Brixham are little buggers but I do admire their majesty and intelligence.

It's bin day today and Torbay council have devised what seems to be the world's most complicated rubbish collection scheme.  I have an assortment of containers.  Let's get the naughty Joo stuff out of the way first of all.  I've generated a bit of food waste this week: some past their best cooking apples, half a cabbage and herbs that turned to liquid in the veg compartment of the fridge.  I'm not proud for  I hate waste and the money that is thrown away that it represents. But I'm not going to beat myself up either.  I'm a full-time working single mum and sometimes my planning goes awry because I'm just so busy.  In the scheme of things it's not too bad at all.

On the plus side I think I'm supposed to be putting out the big black bin this morning but I haven't done so for nearly three months now.  That's because it's still only half full.  At this rate I'll only be sending stuff to landfill three or four times a year.  Everything else gets recycled.  Instead of going to the tip eight big bags went to charity a couple of weeks ago for instance.   I think that cutting down on non recyclables to this degree is quite an achievement.  What's more I've got plans to get even better at this by being more mindful about what comes into my house in the first place!

8 comments:

  1. We have 3 wheelie bins, a black box and a food " caddy". I seem to be the only one who knows what goes in where!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two recycling boxes get me. On good days I'll call up the list from the council of which items are assigned to Box 1 and Box 2. On bad mornings it all goes in together. xx

      Delete
  2. We have 4 bins and a food caddy. Like you, we are careful to avoid waste and use the food bin mainly for garden waste( they go into the same bin). My decluttering this time has been done more mindfully and even clothes beyong use went into the textile recycle skip in the local car park. We live adjacent to a school and the gulls are about the size of albatrosses due to the food scraps from the children's snacks! Enjoy your day. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - albatross like gulls. I knew someone who lived near a nuclear power station once. He said that the gulls there were like that. Spooky! xx

      Delete
  3. I have the council webpage list stuck to the wall in the garage. No joke I think I spend 2 hours a week recycling. Washing it all in the bucket from the water butt (Im not paying to use town water for this!). And if you get it wrong up here they leave you little dangly notes all over that everyone in the street knows are because you did something wrong and they refuse to take the whole bin!!!!!

    If you are ever behind someone in the supermarket who is systematically taking all of the cardboard and unnecessary packaging off and leaves it in the packing area of the conveyer belt. Its my sister. Just say Hi! lol Apparently she is the worst in Asda in Newton! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salty Dog does that too now as part of her Food Plastic Saboteurs campaign. I haven't quite plucked up the courage. Will look out for your sister. I do use the Newton Abbot Asda occasionally. xx

      Delete
  4. I am very good at recycling here but then, I have a lot of time. I am working up to leaving packaging at the check-out desk...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working up to it too....or going to shops where packaging is not generated. xx

      Delete