Thursday, 11 May 2017

Puppy Love


Was anyone else out there going to marry this boy?  At the tender age of seven I would have fought you if you had any designs on him.  David Cassidy didn't get a look in.  I would have run off to America and converted to Mormon, whatever that entailed at the drop of a hat!

I had a poster of Donny on my bedroom door. the centrefold from 'Jackie' of course. If my failing memory serves me well I think he was wearing a purple cap like this one.   I used to snog him,  Not with tongues you understand.  I didn't know about the French version of kissing then.  It was
still a wonder though that the paper didn't go soggy.  At the school disco I affirmed my love, with a crowd of other little girls, by shrieking near the speakers on the stage.  Of course, I knew that they were only pretenders.  I was THE ONE.

Over time my love waned.  I'm trying to recall which superstar I moved onto.  It's a good job I'm fickle.  I don't think me and the Church of the Latter Day Saints would be a good match.  Tea is a no-no.  So is beer.  Donny or a nice cuppa or a pint of proper ale?  There's no contest!


16 comments:

  1. Micky Dolenz from the Monkeys was my heart throb in the early years of senior school and Heinz was a favourite in juniors. I used to practice kissing them on the bedroom mirror, no soggy pictures for me. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to look up Heinz. He was a new one on me. Loved the Monkees platonically. Didn't want to marry any of them! xx

      Delete
  2. For me it was David Cassidy. It seems that for most girls that age it was one or the other because for my best friend it was Donny. I had a David Cassidy poster on my wall. I think that was probably from "Jackie" too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never understood what other girls saw in David. Never mind if they were obsessing over him they were leaving Donny all to me!! xx

      Delete
  3. David Cassidy for me too, along with David Essex and the now unmentionable kiddy fiddler GG. I had so many pictures of them on my bedroom walls that there was no space left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Essex - now you're talking! xx

      Delete
  4. Les Mckeown Bay City Rollers...I know not why, but there you go!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what's more embarrassing, Les or my inexplicable later love of Ian Ogilvy as the saint! xx

      Delete
    2. Now I really don't get that! xx

      Delete
  5. He didn't do anything for me, although I did probably have the same poster up however .... David Cassidy was my preferred floppy fringed crush. We used to watch the Partridge Family (or rather I did) religiously every Saturday evening and sing along (hopelessly out of tune) which might have been why I was the only one watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to watch the Partridge family. Can't remember singing though. xx

      Delete
  6. Simon le Bon Duran Duran!. My whole bedroom was plastered in his cut outs from Jackie magazine!. He just hadn't,t found me!. Used to dream about him landing in a helicopter in my back garden lol.
    Dad used to tease me saying Simons walking up the garden path!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope he didn't do it for me. It was Gary Numan at that time. And David Sylvian. xx

      Delete
  7. Overall, it seems like the Osmonds' lives were sad, like the Jacksons'- pressured to be child performers and to maintain an image :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just went off to do a bit of reading. Goodness they were abused weren't they? xx

      Delete