Monday, 29 May 2017

Sausage Stew Staple


I'm certain I'm a half decent cook.  Why?  Because a fair few people tell me.  My style is rustic, mainly Mediterranean with hearty flavours.   I like to keep it simple.  Normally there's only one pot or baking dish involved unless it's a roast.   There no nobbing around with sous vides and fancy foams for me.

I reckon pretty much everyone that camps rustles up a sausage and tomato stew at some time.  Klaus the Knaus has seen a fair few cooked on his stove over time, like the inaugural meal when I embarked on motorhome living in 2014.  Here's yesterday's version that the kids pronounced delicious.

Sweat a couple of chopped onions and a  big diced carrot in a glug of rapeseed oil.  I also added a crushed clove of garlic that we got from the supermarket.  It was a big as an elephant's arse so if you follow this recipe with normal  sized stuff you might need two or three.

Pop three luscious long chipolatas in with the chopped veggies.  They can cook through at the same time. I kept the lid of the pan on and the sausages didn't go brown.  They looked a bit anaemic but no matter.  A hearty sauce covers a multitude of sins.

Chop up the sausages into bite sized pieces. Add a crushed tin of chopped tomatoes, a squirt of Muscadet from a wine box, dried rosemary, a teaspoon of smoked paprika and a good grinding of salt and pepper.  I also popped in a bit of the rouille that we add to our Breton fish soup.   Add a tomato can of water and let it simmer away without the lid on until it's all reduced down to a thick gloopy consistency.  More of the Muscadet and a good book comes in handy while you wait.  I'm onto 'Driving Over Lemons' now guys!

And that's it.  Add the juice of half a lemon and serve in bowls with a crusty baguette.

4 comments:

  1. Delicious! Especially with the extra Muscadet. Im not surprised your cooking is popular.I am a huge fan of one pot cooking too. Simple tasty food is just the best. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One pot is the way to go, especially in the van. I only have two pans here anyway so couldn't get a whole lot more complicated. xx

      Delete
  2. That sounds pretty amazing, and I believe would be a fan favorite here as well. It seems almost bolonaise-maybe over some specialty pasta it would work well, but you had me at baguette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see where you're coming from but it wasn't very bolognaisse-y. Amazing what the addition of a couple of different flavours can do. xx

      Delete