Tuesday, 27 June 2017

Everything In Its Place: Phew!


I think I've talked before about the symbiotic relationship between my mind and my habitat.  If there's muddle and strife in my head the places that I live and work get messy.  If it's untidy at home, say after a move or whilst redecorating a room, my mental state suffers.  It doesn't even matter if I can close a door on the carnage like the time when it wasn't possible to see the floor in the spare room.  I knew it was in a state and I fretted.  I'm a silly old sausage like that!

So the state of chaos in my craft area couldn't be more than a temporary one.  Over the last week I've grafted.  There's been much sorting, discarding and recycling and here's the result.  Serenity restored.

Gone are three drawer units precariously perched on each other where I housed my tools.  I risked life and limb every time I retrieved a screwdriver. It was like Russian Roulette as to whether it was all going to topple over.    Everything except one  filing box for my paperwork is now housed in the  desk drawers or IKEA unit.  Amazingly three of its twenty five compartments are empty. when it used to be stuffed full with  four plastic boxes on top as well.   My tools, crafting materials and business bits and pieces all now have allocated spaces.  The carpet that had suffered after an ink related accident has been disguised with a rug that I begged from my ex.  It was in our last house in Exeter and I knew he wasn't using it anymore.

The sense of order frees me.  I can put my hand on the things that I need to do a job easily as  I know where everything is.  So I set to being productive as soon as it was all done.  Here's that octopus print again, now nicely framed courtesy of good old IKEA again.   I painted the mount with some left over vinyl matt from Mr Metrosexual.   More scrounging!  I'm so pleased with the finished article which is now hanging on the wall in my kitchen diner.




8 comments:

  1. looks fab, I love the shelving unit I may need to go get 1. That little octopus print is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shelving unit is very useful. It's served me well and be re-installed in three homes now. xx

      Delete
  2. I have a similar shelving unit, also from the same place, it houses all my yarn (and some UFOs!) in some pretty linen boxes. Good old eye-kee-yah! Mess and disorder gets me down too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to get some boxes when I'm next in IKEA in Brest or Bristol for meatballs. They'll hide more of the unsightly stuff. xx

      Delete
  3. Although I am a messy crafter, I also need to restore order to my spaces or it freezes my ability to do anything. This applies to all areas of my life and it's why I was ironing at 11pm last night when I should have been in bed. Your octopus print is so calming but fun. I had never thought of painting mountboard before-I have lots of 10p matchpots of acrylic so will be trying that soon. Thank you. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't and it worked really well. Just the thing for leftover paint in matchpots. xx

      Delete
  4. I have similar crafting issues. I find after a frenzied bout of arty enthusiasm that my work area vecomes a danger zone and starts to impede on my creativity which in turn has a negative influence. And yes, shutting the door doesn't make it go away - although it is a ploy I attempt regularly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I've done is been strict about everything having its own home. I hope this works and my place of creativity stays tidy. xx

      Delete