Tuesday, 13 June 2017

Foraging Flowers


I veered off the Totnes-Paignton road this evening because I'd spied bounty on the way to work the other day.  A bush covered with accessible elderflowers.  My recent foraging activity has taught me that elder seems to be a companion plant for the stinging nettle and often its flowers are too far out of reach. I picked a carrier bag full tonight with ease.  Consequently my home smells utterly amazing.

I adore foraging and it's up there in my top favourite pursuits.  It's so absorbing and satisfying.   This is the third batch of elderflowers I've picked.  Lou and I have been making cordial from this recipe.  The lady in Sainsbury's pharmacy are now on good terms because that's where I source my citric acid, one of the ingredients.  If you buy that stuff you get asked some awkward questions.  I now know that you can use it to 'cut heroin'.  What that entails I have absolutely no idea!



Here's my mixture that has been steeping all day. I'll strain and bottle it in the morning.  I've written about making elderflower cordial before back in 2010 in my early days of blogging.  I paired it  back then with a link to a recipe for elderflower champagne.  Now there's a recipe that's not for the faint hearted.  It's lovely stuff but I think I only sampled one bottle out of the eight.  The rest exploded!

11 comments:

  1. I think you are quite dangerous now....drugs and explosives! All from pretty flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a very ancient chemistry degree after all! xx

      Delete
  2. Citric acid is widely available and widely used in homebrew, bath bombs etc. so no need to put up with awkward questions at SB , just go elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found out since you can buy a ton of the stuff on Amazon. Rather like the interactions with the lady in the pharmacy at Sainsburys. She's very sweet. xx

      Delete
  3. I Like elderflower green tea but found the drinks too sweet. I guess if you make your own you could make it as sweet as you like it or less sweet if preferred.

    By the way, I love cross pollination of blogs. You left a comment on my jellyfish on "Going Gently", thank you. On my own blog "Carol's Chickens" it only got one comment and that was from my mum LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your jellyfish were lovely. Glad I spotted them. Love visiting the other blogs. Not doing this as much as I'd like at the moment. xx

      Delete
  4. It's so delicious and simple to make. I made ours last week, although as one of our bottles is already empty I am tempted to make some more. I'm not brave enough to make elderflower champagne for fear of the bottles exploding. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - elderflower champagne is for the brave - or the reckless! xx

      Delete
  5. I have heard it said that if one uses plastic bottles for the 'champagne' there is less chance of disaster.

    The perfume of the flowers is gorgeous, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perfume is amazing. Don't know why it isn't bottled.

      I made elderflower champagne in plastic bottle and they exploded in the garage. There was nothing left but stickiness. xx

      Delete
  6. Damn, I have been misinformed then. xx

    ReplyDelete