Sunday, 18 June 2017

Grenfell Fire: Reflections on Impermanence


My thoughts and prayers are with the residents of Grenfell Tower at the moment.  There are those who lost their lives, have been injured in a life changing way and others who have lost everything.  Disco Queen Vikki told me the other day that her family had suffered a house fire when she was a teenager. One of her twin sisters had left a school bag on a bed where  an electric blanket had been switched on. A couple of chemistry sets that  the girls had got for their birthday also added to the intensity of the flames.  She came home from her job as a junior hairdresser in just the clothes that she was wearing. That happened to be the green overall that was her uniform.   There was no contents insurance on the home so people rallied round and gave them what they needed.

It got me thinking about the transitory nature of all we have and own.   I thought it would be wise to acknowledge this.  Each night before I go to sleep I'm in the habit of expressing gratitude for what the day has brought me, the people I've met, the kindness done to me and what I've been able to do, food, what I've seen and done.......  . I'm now giving thanks that I've been allowed to enjoy my lovely house and all that I own for just one more day.  With this comes acceptance of the idea that things could change in the course of the day and acknowledgement that, at any time, I might have to adapt to a life that's different from the one I have now.

2 comments:

  1. Poignant. Friends that lost all two years ago in a fire have expressed similar sentiments as they've started again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that I would be as perturbed as I might imagine after living in the van and on the Appalachian Trail and realised just how little you need. xx

      Delete