Thursday, 22 June 2017

Breatharianism: Not For Me!


I read an article last week about a couple who are breatharians and claim to live on cosmic nourishment. On one level I like the idea as, if it is true, it smacks of the miraculous.  I'm very happy to state the standpoint that sometimes things don't obey natural laws.  Another part of me is concerned that, in the wrong minds, this could be pretty dangerous stuff.  There are reports that people have starved to death in their attempt to follow this diet.

It's not for me.  I absolutely adore food.  Even though the breatharians in the article point out that all the money that they've saved can go on travel, I'm not persuaded.  One of the reasons that I visit other places is to eat and drink different things!  So today I thought I'd list 10 memorous meals as they came to me, just to remind myself of the pleasure that eating brings to my life.


  • Fried eggs and chips:  As soon as I got home after Louis was born to break the ban on runny yolks that was imposed during pregnancy.
  • A massive assiette de fruits de mer:  Seafood shared by me and Scary Secretary at Roscoff with our kids running backwards and forwards from a playground to steal winkles.
  • A Christmas day picinc:  On top of Yes Tor with my ex-husband in the early days of our marriage when we were sticking two fingers up to festivities.
  • Our feast of crab caught off the shore of Seattle
  • The great big cheese and garlic toasted open sandwiches that they used to serve at the Old Firehouse pub in Exeter and the special saald that they used to do at the Double Locks in the 1980s that was packed with fruit.
  • The weird but delicious bake that my mum used to make which consisted of sausagemeat topped with spaghetti hoops, mashed potatoes and grated cheese.  So good my brother, sister and I would request it as our birthday meal.
  • Strawberries eaten straight from the plants at the pick your own in Tiptree.
  • The best ice cream in the world as judged by Lou and me in Vancouver.
  • My mum's home made pork pies brought back to Devon from my trips back to my childhood home in Essex.
  • The gorgeous little cheesy parcels that are on sale everywhere in Malta.
....and I could go on.  Got to stop because I must get on with my day.  Yes, this has reinforced the idea.  No breatharianism for me!

8 comments:

  1. I had never heard of this so I googled it (I thought perhaps they just had to breath in the food fumes). It seems ridiculous to me, how can anyone stay alive without eating and drinking. It's not a concept I want to try any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the idea of miracles defying nature so don't rule it out. Not for me though! xx

      Delete
  2. I am with you, I love to eat and drink! Just had my annual physical where my doctor asked me how my appetite was, when I told him, he laughed out loud!
    With all those other special meals on your list, I am intrigued by your mother's bake being so popular. Can you get the recipe and post or e mail it? JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fry a patty of sausage meat to fit the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Add a tin of spaghetti hoops. Topped with mashed potato and grated cheese and pop in the oven until the top is golden. I think that's it. Haven't had it for years. Might give it a go myself to see if it still hits the spot. xx

      Delete
  3. OMG I get wobbly if I don't eat regularly. Another arty farty diet fad. Not for me at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat nearly everything - no food group is missing. There might even be a bit of cosmic nourishment added to that red meat and chocolate. xx

      Delete
  4. What a load of old tosh! I really can't understand why people tout this kind of thing. Give me egg and toast anytime of day or night! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! Buttered bread with a fried egg with a runny yolk and the white that has turned golden and lacy on the bottom. xx

      Delete