Wednesday, 14 June 2017

Leave It Alone!


Woman With Flower  

I wouldn't coax the plant if I were you. 
Such watchful nurturing may do it harm. 
Let the soil rest from so much digging 
And wait until it's dry before you water it. 
The leaf's inclined to find its own direction; 
Give it a chance to seek the sunlight for itself. 
Much growth is stunted by too careful prodding, 
Too eager tenderness. 
The things we love we have to learn to leave alone.

Naomi Long Madgett

I came across this poem the other day.  As an alternative to music in the car I'm frequently listening to inspirational stuff on YouTube.  This came up at one of the end of Wayne Dyer's talks.  It bowled me over.   Isn't the power of words to do that so amazing? 

I think that it's applicable to the situation that's going on in the background as I'm writing this post. Louis lost his debit card and he's on the phone to the bank sorting it out. I could have taken over and done it for him but helicopter parenting isn't really my style.  Just reflecting on these extraordinarily eloquent and wise words again.  I reckon they apply to all sorts of relationships not just the ones between parents and children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment