Monday, 12 June 2017

More About 'That Tidying Book'


My house used to look tidy enough for my son to accuse me of having OCD at times.  It's a reputation that's enhanced by the fact that I insist on having icons in alphabetical order on the screens of my phone and tablet.  Even so you'd find a seething mess if you were to venture into some of the drawers and hidey holes.  Someone told me  way back that in order to get a bloke you had to make  physical space for him.    I might have been able to squish  a pair of his clean  pants in amongst my socks if he'd have stayed over but that's about it.   Perhaps that's the reason that I've had long bouts of being single.

Motorhome life made me better at decluttering but even so in the last couple of months I've taken alarming amounts of stuff to be recycled.  And that was before I read that tidying book by the very fastidious Japanese lady. Marie Kondo beseeches you to follow her system to the letter but I've rebelled.  Even so I hope that she'd be quite proud of me.

Thanks to some fancy folding and paring down of my clothes collection by another big charity shop bag all my clothes and bags, aside from coats and shoes but including my ski gear, now fit into my wardrobe.    My underwear drawer is a revelation!  Mr Metrosexual can attest to that.  I was comfortable showing it off to a gay man but you're not seeing it.   I don't want the whole world to see my neatly ordered smalls. What's more the not insubstantial cupboard above the drawers is completely empty.  I might house the sheets and towels that I currently keep under the bed in the spare room in there - all stored vertically. Anyone who's read the book will know why!

Five big bags of books too have gone in the Heart Foundation recycling bins at Sainsburys. Even though I thought I'd been quite severe in my book culling in the past there were lots I hadn't read, and to be honest, was probably never going to.  So two bookcases worth have been melded into one, all filed under the Rainbow system, a perfectly adequate alternative to the Dewey decimal system unless you want to find something quickly!




Yesterday the food cupboard in the kitchen got the treatment and I'm going to start on my workspace on the landing tomorrow.   It's occurred to me that increasing my sense of spaciousness is a theme running through my life at the moment.  I've cleared my mind, freed up time and now I'm working on my physical environment.   Somehow it all seems strangely interconnected.

PS:  Oh following the comment by Sol on my last post.  I'm emptying out my handbag into a felt box every night.  It seems that there is method in madness. I only leave the house with what I need for that day.  My occupational therapist's standard kit of tape measure doesn't really need to come with me to the pub on a Sunday.  The upshot is that my load is lighter!!

8 comments:

  1. Gosh what a transformation you have put in place! Maybe I should read Kondo too. I've been resisting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes read it and learn from it. You don't need to go hardcore. xx

      Delete
  2. I want to, need to, read the book but sadly won't have anyone but me to get things done. There's the problem to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand. I'd made great inroads on the kitchen over the weekend but Louis has been cooking cupcakes this evening. It looked like Armageddon down there! xx

      Delete
  3. Your "neatly ordered smalls" made me laugh out loud! Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! I love it. I dont think I carry much. Lipstick, purse, keys, dog poop bags and mobile phone. I take those items everywhere! Maybe I need a place for them also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go! I quite like it even though it seems a bit random. xx

      Delete