Saturday, 24 June 2017

Musing on Art


Whenever I hear someone say 'I can't draw, paint or make sculpture.'  I feel like contradicting them.  Everyone has the potential to make art but lots of people have blocks in place so that they are denied this form of self-expression.  Maybe they were told they were no good as a child or make this judgement themselves.  I'm still having an uphill battle to convince my boy that his own art is beautiful.

For a long time my creativity was stifled.  I compared myself to my brother whose extraordinary work won him a place at art college. Thank goodness I overcame my own barriers to creativity.  My jewellery making, printing and mosaic give me intense pleasure and most of the time I'm really pleased with what I've made.

My work is always quite primitive. If I aimed for realism I think I'd experience disappointment.  But I'm  full of admiration though for clever souls who can produce art that replicates reality.  I remember at school there was a painting on the wall from an A-level student who'd completed a study of chemistry equipment.   How could someone produce a picture of glass objects to a standard where it looked like a photograph?  I'm very taken by this rather disturbing 17th century sculpture by Bernini that I came across the other day.  The way that the hand looks as if it is making an indentation into the thigh that it is touching is astounding.

6 comments:

  1. My goodness, you are right about that hand...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing before I even moved on to read your words. The hand indenting the thigh is just so realistic. The stone looks pliable. It is disturbing but at the same time so skillfully done. I couldn't help keep scrolling up to look again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I keep going back to look again and again too. It's almost voyeuristic! xx

      Delete
  3. I think that we recently saw that in a programme by Francesco da Mosto, the Venetian Architect [amongst other things]. I love it when he is back on our screens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People keep recommending good telly programmes at the moment. I never watch it much anymore. Much get my square eyes out. xx

      Delete