Friday, 16 June 2017

The Best Medicine?


The nature of my job in an older person's mental health team means that I have my regulars.  Some people's illnesses come and go in cycles.   A few have endured bouts of terrible suffering over a course of a lifetime.  The most wonderful thing about yesterday was visiting the most challenging person on my caseload in hospital.   He switches from being one of the gentlest human beings on the planet to becoming a danger to himself and others when poorly.   'I'll know at once how he is by the way he greets me.' I explained to the doctor before the case meeting.   The person walked in and from the smiles we exchanged I knew that he'd entered a period of wellness.   Magic!

I got a phone call from one of the secretaries earlier in the week.  Another person,, who I thought was getting better was having a wobble.  'His wife asked me to send Julie round.' she told me.  I was chuffed.  Maybe this was a sign that my superlative therapy skills honed from years of studying and experience are recognised.  Not so, I realised as the secretary went on to explain why I'd been asked for specifically.   'She said that you always cheer them both up by giving them a really good laugh!'

6 comments:

  1. As long as they're laughing with you and not at you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's sometimes a bit of both! xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Absolutely. I did a laughter yoga session at a festival once. That was good fun. xx

      Delete
  3. I agree with Carol! Being able to make people laugh is a great gift to have, aren't you lucky? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. Seeing the funny side of things certainly helps lift gloom on many occasions. xx

      Delete