Friday, 9 June 2017

Tiny New Business Update


Things are a bit different here at Lovelygrey HQ than they were six months ago.  Through sheer bloody mindedness and learning to say no a lot more often than I've ever done in the past the balance between my life inside and out of the NHS has been restored.  Yay!  I'm using the time that I've freed up in a variety of ways.  There's a bit more time for leisure and soul seeking.  I'm reading  much more and getting creative again.   Another pizza base awaits my attention.  I'm just trying to think of a suitable design.   But the bulk of my extra hours goes on developing my own Dementia Consultant business.  The picture on my post today is one I've used on the website.  Lovely isn't it?  I like the way that sand can convey the metaphor of a changing brain.

In an ideal world I'd jack in the day job and devote my efforts to full-time self employment.  I'm finding the project exciting and exhilarating.  Even though I'm theoretically working it's enjoyable to be finding my ropes.   There's so much to do and I'd love to work on this all day and every day if I had the time.  The sensible head on my shoulders stops me doing this.   I have a roof to keep over my head and the mouth of a minor to feed.  The regular income from employment is pretty handy as it happens.  I'm growing and developing the business but slowly.  Salty Dog continues to be encouraging of my tortoise over hare tactics and advocates patience..  She believes that I will get there.

So what have I been doing? Well from a financial perspective I have a bank account and have found a lovely local accountant who is reasonably priced.     She's ready to go once the pennies start coming in.  My main focus is on building up awareness of my personal brand so that there is a good chance of having a ready market there when I start offering services to sell.  I'm far more excited about my Facebook and Twitter following than I've ever been for this blog.  I do this for fun not for commercial gain.  It's very different.

My first priority from a product point of view is developing online courses.  I have blueprints for several but I want to do it right.  So I'm taking a Udemy course on online course design.  After all I don't want dodgy camera angles and muffled sound quality to scare my punters away.  Be warned I might be trying out my new found skills in video production on you guys shortly!  

4 comments:

  1. I am following your start-up with interest. I love your energy. There is a TED talk you may like by Hugo Kehr "Visions, Goals and willpower" coincidentally made just a few months ago when you started to formulate your plans. He stresses the importance of the emotional component of setting up a start-up and has what he calls the daily 3 C check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you - I'll go and give that one a look when I have a moment. xx

      Delete
  2. Just a typo that I noticed: advocates patients. I think the patients will come after the patience, yes? Good luck with it anyway m'dear, I am willing you to be very successful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh bless! Thanks my favourite proofreader. I'll go off and correct now. Typos are a bit inevitable when you blog at 5 in the morning! xx

      Delete