Thursday, 8 June 2017

Vote Please!!!


It's general election day in the United Kingdom.  Once I've got myself up and sorted out I'll head on over to the bowling club on the nearby green that serves as our local polling station and put my tick in a box.  I used to have a postal vote but didn't renew it when I moved to Brixham.   There's a sense of occasion about showing up in person.  It reminds me of the privilege I have in being able to vote. Many have gone before me who didn't have that right.

This is  the suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst in her prison uniform.  She's here to call attention to the fact  that many have been imprisoned and been killed fighting for political equality.  The struggle goes on for many.   So, as a mark of respect to all of these people please use your vote.  It's no secret that my own leanings are definitely at the pinko end of the spectrum.  Maybe I should be urging the true blue among you to stay at home to give old Jezzer a better chance.  But it's not so.   As a 'female pleb' who's had no political voice in the past I urge you.  please go.    We need everyone to have a say in order to preserve democracy.  A balance of voices is healthy!



8 comments:

  1. I'm loving the Facebook meme telling Tory voters that they will get two votes if they turn up at the poling station after 10pm tonight.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voted! I love that she is knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably socks or gloves. Those old fashioned prisons looked chilly! xx

      Delete
  3. I voted twice today.At one Polling Station for me and at another one for a friend by proxy.Nowthat is something I have never done before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't either. Thanks for assisting someone else to have their say. xx

      Delete
  4. I did my postal vote a couple of weeks ago, it's the only way I can vote.

    Tell me if I have it wrong, but I read a book on the Pankhursts many years ago and although Emmeline Pankhurst started the movement (with the approval of her husband), it was mainly her eldest daughter Christine who was a martyr for the cause ie going to jail etc. As far as I remember, Emmeline was just the figurehead.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about her but have just done a little reading. She sounded feisty! xx

      Delete