Saturday, 1 July 2017

A Big Fat Zero!


Today marks the start of 'Plastic Free July'.  I'm going to give it a go and kickstart a more mindful way of consumption that reduces the waste that I personally generate - hopefully for good.   One of the steps I'll take will be making much more use of little local shops.  Earth.Food.Love: The Zero Waste Shop in Totnes will be one of the places that I'll be visiting in future.


My cupboard of dried goods is brimming at the moment but I popped up to the shop to see what they stock for future reference.  I was given a warm welcome from one of the owners Richard.  He runs the shop with his wife Nicola and they are 'helped' by their baby Willow.  They left an urban life in Manchester to raise a family in Devon.  From personal experience of bringing up a chilled out kid here I'd say that was a very wise choice indeed.


So how does this work?  Well, instead of buying pre-packaged goods you take your own jars, bottles, boxes and bags, fill them and buy by weight.  Easy!  There's paper bags and containers for sale too if you're a bit dippy like me and have forgotten your own.    Some of my friends are doing that thing where they dump all their plastic at the supermarket till.  I've been a bit of a scared-y cat and haven't dared to go down that particular route of activism.  The good thing here is that it prevents the need to do that in the first place.


All the stuff is organic and there's plenty to choose from: pulses, spices, nuts, seeds, cereal....And loose tea.  Did you know that the majority of teabags contain plastic?  I only found out after I'd just bought my last lot in bulk.  There's a small range of cleaning products as well, made in nearby Somerset. I'll be giving those a try.   The website has a handy price list  so that I can check they have what I need before I climb the hill up to the shop.


Isn't it all so pretty?  Much nicer than sterile supermarket environments.  I particularly loved these beautiful dispensers for liquids.  I'll be popping back soon - with a bottle.  I'm nearly out of washing up liquid!

15 comments:

  1. I was just thinking how pretty it all looked. I've been looking into plastic free myself a lot recently and am go I to try do my bit. Small changes really do make a difference.
    I would love to have a store like that near me. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that more will be opening. It seems the first was in Berlin but the ideas getting off the ground and more are opening. xx

      Delete
  2. Do you remember those Scoop & Save shops that were prevalent on our high streets back in the 1980s? I used to love them and saved me loads of money as a poor student.
    Living in the urban desolation that is Walsall we now have the choice of the 24 hour Asda Megastore or the trusty corner shop for our pulses and rice. To get anything organic we'd have to drive 10 miles which kind of defeats the planet saving aspect, sadly.
    Good luck to Richard. I envy you living near Totnes, I adore it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's still a scoop and save in Totnes. I'll be using that too! xx

      Delete
  3. We forgot to go didn't we in the end! Another time. I am too cowardly to leave plastic at the till point too...I am just trying to cut back whereever possible. Have just started to use a milkman again after many years! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just dawned on me that milk is going to be an issue. And don't want to use a milkman as it hasn't been a solution that's worked for me in the past. Off into Totnes tomorrow to see if anyone stocks milk in Tetrapaks or bottles. xx

      Delete
  4. I too am trying to go plastic free in July! But haven't done much initial research/planning.
    That shop is beautiful.

    Also yes to teabags containing plastic,how annoyed was I when I found out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a good supply of Yorkshire to use up and then over to loose leaf. xx

      Delete
  5. Our town co-op is like this and where I get most spices, baking yeast, and a few other staples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool. There's a few shops I'll be investigating that are like that locally. xx

      Delete
  6. Wish we had similar shops locally here - our immediate area is a little on the 'deprived' side so plenty of budget supermarkets, charity shops and bookies - *yay* (not) Used live in Devon, now up north - do miss being further south - on the whole a lot more 'enlightened' than here where we are :( But we try ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just been into the local Coop with Mr Metrosexual who was buying prosecco for his tea(!). Woefully plastic clad stock. It's going to be tricky. xx

      Delete
  7. We used to have scoop and whatever shops here but I haven't seen one for many years. I am not brave enough to do the plastic dumping but I am trying to be plastic free this month. I wonder how I shall get on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's anything like me you might be struggling - just a little. It's a plastic ridden minefield out there! xx

      Delete