Thursday, 27 July 2017

Just Giving: Fundraising for Esther


It's a year ago today that my sister passed over to the other side at the age of just 46.  I shared the eulogy, which tells the story of her extraordinary life in an earlier post.   Before she died I spent three nights in the hospice to get her used to accepting care from the staff.   I talked about how I'd started running and she suggested that I completed a marathon.  I refused but said that I'd work up to running half that distance in her memory.  Eek!  What possessed me?   When I went away I looked for the flattest course possible.

It turns out that the Great Bristol Half Marathon 2017 is pretty level.  It's on 17th September so cheer on the woman who runs like a crab if you're in the area. Coincidentally it would have  been Esther's 48th birthday on that day.  I'm going to be raising money, at her request, for IIH UK who support those with Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, the neurological condition that caused my sister to go blind.

So I've set up a 'Just Giving' account to collect sponsorship.  To mark the anniversary of Esther's death I'm starting my fundraising campaign on my social media accounts today.  If you enjoy reading my blog please consider making a donation towards my target of £1,175.   You can do so by following the link here...or the one above.  I thought I'd put in two for good measure!  My family and I will be ever so chuffed if you do give money.   We are trying to keep my sister's memory alive by doing as much good for others as possible in her name.

I went to one of the inpatient wards for a meeting.  While I was there I told some of  the staff about what I was doing.  One of the nurses who I didn't know very well pulled out a tenner from her pocket. Thanks so much Becki.  That first donation really touched me.   Only £1,165 to go!

6 comments:

  1. £1145 to go now!! (Yes I do enjoy reading your blog )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much. It's truly appreciated. xx

      Delete
  2. That year has soon gone, crikey! I am very sorry but I don't do those just giving things, I don't put my bank or card details into my own computer. If you can put a tenner in I will give you the cash when I see you, or send a cheque in the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so kind. I'll add your tenner to the non electronic total! xx

      Delete
    2. Goodeee, we will fix up a date for meet.

      Delete
  3. Well, what a palaver; but it is done now. (Gift Aided too). I hope you get to your projected total. xx

    ReplyDelete