Friday, 14 July 2017

Plastic Free July: My Own Ernie!


This Plastic Free July is more restrictive than being a vegan!  I've wandered around supermarkets gloomily,  a rare state of affairs; for I'm normally a happy soul.  But there's so little that I can buy.  At the suggestion of some of my lovely blog readers I've found a solution to reducing plastic waste in one  little area of life.   I've signed up with Milk and More.  If you live in the UK you can enter your postcode on the website to check whether they deliver in your area.  My own personal Ernie, who actually happens to be called Tony, gets up even earlier than me and delivers pints to my door.  Here's the result.  You can tell that this isn't one of those perfectly composed stock shots.  My mug needs a jolly good scrub!

Of course I knew about doorstep delivery but pooh-poohed the idea because it hadn't worked for me in the past. I'd either be swamped with milk or run out.  I'd have to remember to cancel orders before I went away.  And then there was paying the milkman at the weekend. I never seemed to be in at the time he called and I'd owe weeks and weeks worth of payments. The good old internet has ironed out those problems.  Tony calls three days a week.     I order online at 9pm before the day of delivery if I need anything and will then be invoiced monthly.  Payment is taken automatically.    Empties are popped back on the doorstep ready to be cleaned and refilled at the dairy.  That bit is just like the old days when a reduce, reuse and recycle ethos was ingrained into society.  With my first delivery came a complimentary bottle of orange juice, again packaged in glass. That's solved another problem as all the tetrapaks seem to have plastic lids these days.  I've added more to my second order.

Sure this is a little more expensive than shop milk and OJ.  In fact this plastic free lark isn't working out to be cheap and couldn't be sustained in its entirety for ever.   But I'm happy to make some lasting moves to change my way of consumption.   I also want to support a business which has benefits for the community.  Milkmen these days don't just deliver dairy products  but groceries too, very handy for people who can't easily shop themselves.

   MIYZ8A44

I've been given this code by Milk and More.  If it works and you use it with your introductory order you'll get £10 off your first monthly invoice and I get a tenner too.  How's that for win-win?

Finally I couldn't resist posting a Youtube video of Ernie for a bit of silliness never hurt anyone.  It still makes me giggle after all these years.


10 comments:

  1. Hi "Lovely Grey" so pleased you have decided to try Milk & More you very often get little extras with your milk. I only have 4 pints a week but it does not matter. Enjoy your weekend, I enjoyed the video.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, looking forward to little extras - although not Ernie style ones! xx

      Delete
  2. Sadly they do not deliver round here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame. It seems a really good business idea. Perhaps 'nouveau' milk deliveries will be a hit and spread to other areas of the country. xx

      Delete
  3. I've been delighted with them. Our milkman is really reliable and it's so easy.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not tricky like the olden days. I'm sold on the idea. xx

      Delete
  4. I only get one small plastic bottle a week. Hardly worth the bother for me. It's nice to see milkmen in jobs though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just order a pint. There's no minimum order. And you're right about keeping milkmen in jobs. xx

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, that is so great to hear that you can get your milk deliverered still! I would like to be able to get glass bottles still!
    I've never actually seen Ernie before! That is so funny! It reallllllllly annoyed my husband in the background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be young. Ernie was a feature of my 70s childhood. xx

      Delete