Friday, 4 August 2017

Travels Far Off In Time


Little Blue, the new Skoda Citigo, that I ordered the other day comes with £500 of free fuel. I won't have load of red petrol containers arriving on my doorstep.  That would be silly. The deal comes in the form of a pre-loaded debit card.  'You don't have to spend it on petrol.' said the salesman.  'You can use it for anything, a holiday maybe'.  That got me thinking.  It doesn't take much persuasion to get me in a travelling mindset.

I've never been to Portugal although for a while now I've been thinking that I should suss it out. Louis has been with his Dad a couple of times and loves it.  A random family that we met in the science museum at Granada and now keep in touch with have a restaurant there.  And a brave friend of mine is emigrating there in September.    Even without all the accolades from others, this picture alone would have persuaded me to go.  Doesn't it look delightful?

So my search for a budget conscious February half term getaway for 2018 has drawn me to Lisbon.  Cheap in school holidays?  Some of you might think that there's no such thing.  But I've managed to come up with such a canny deal that I thought that it was worth boasting.  Flights from Bristol are a shade under £160 in total.  We'll use AirBnB for accommodation that I'll let Louis choose.  After all he'll be off by himself pretty soon so he needs to get the logistics of exploring far and wide sussed. So I reckon the flights and apartment will come in at around the £500 mark.  And with all those dinky trams to run us around the city we won't even have to hire a car.  How's that for thrifty?

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good deal and yes, that picture is delightful. Envious?.....me? 😊 X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture is lovely isn't it? Hope it's as sunny when we go in February xx

      Delete
  2. Lisbon is a great city, we loved it. A free holiday too, couldn't be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know. I hadn't thought of it as a free holiday. Duh! xx

      Delete
  3. I went to Lisbon in may two years ago.
    I loved it!!!! Excellent choice :-) nice present from your new car to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I like the idea of it being a present from Little Blue to us. Thanks for that! xx

      Delete
    2. Oh and ps: the food is amazing (custard tarts/pasteis de nata)

      Delete
    3. Love an English custard tart so will be giving those a go! xx

      Delete
  4. If it wasn't for the darn expensive air fair from the US (or even form our home area to other US destinations), I'd take advantage of doing more trips in places where a car is not needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you've got some amazing cities for getting around without a car in North America: Vancouver, Seattle and New York are the one's I've been to. Hope you get some fruit on your money tree in the near future. xx

      Delete
  5. I went to Portugal many, many years ago and fell head over heels in love with it. Fish for every meal and vinho verde both delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to the fish. Lou has been to Lisbon with his dad. He says that there are 'all you can eat' sushi bars. Fab! xx

      Delete